Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bosch Greenstar Combi floor mount

Craniac
Craniac Member Posts: 1
I have a small single family in Maine and the oil furnace is gone. House roughly 1200 sq. ft +-, has old cast iron radiators only 5 or 6 and 2" cast iron water pipes. I'm replacing with natural gas and one dealer has quoted the furnace mentioned above. Another dealer who is aware of the furnace says it is the wrong fit because the Bosch contains little water supply of it's own so the burner would be constantly firing due to the high volume of water in the pipes and radiators to heat. His remark was the constant firing for this and an on demand heat exchange will wear out the furnace sooner. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    That is the perfect situation for a condensing boiler. I like the green star floor mount boiler for oil conversions because you can put it were the old oil boiler sits. Then you don't have to build a wall, run pipes to the wall etc.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    The whole point is to run a mod/con at a steady throttle for the building's heat loss on any given day until thermostat satisfies, with minimal burner on/off short cycling. Outdoor sensor communicates with boiler processors and computes target supply temp for the day/moment. (When programmed correctly). A dirt separator would be a good addition to this application.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    I would also add that I personally not a fan of combi boilers if you have the space I would do a indirect water heater and a smaller boiler the combi is big enough to heat 3 of your houses.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    Agreed with Aaron. Combi is for a broom closet mechanical room in a slab house.
  • Chester
    Chester Member Posts: 83
    I just installed a Greenstar 57 wall mount to heat my 1400 sq ft house in Maine and am using an indirect HW tank. I pretty much went with the smallest heating boiler I could because my heat load is less than 30,000 Btu/hr and I think an indirect is a great way to go for DWH.

I agree with others about going with a combi because you'd end up with a much bigger boiler than you need and would lose efficiency.

I also looked a the Greenstar floor model. It would have saved some installation time and cost but I decided it was worth going with a wall mount to open up some extra space in the basement. As you know, in a small house a few extra square feet here and there can make a real difference.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    This is not a combi. But it is my new favorite boiler to put in.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717