Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polaris water heater... What's their deal?

Options
wcs5050
wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
New customer called about failed ignition. Honestly I have never seen one of these in person. He says it does heat and hot water. I suspect this is going to be set up open loop to a hydronic air handler. If so, should it have a circulator exercising relay to prevent stagnation?

Did Polaris ever make a divided Combi unit with separate water sides or were they always a single tank?

Are blower and board failures common on these?

Unit is ~12 yrs old. Anyone know where to find lit/wiring schematic?

Model#. Pdg102-345100-2n ??? Think I got this wrong. No good hits on Google.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Typically they were used in combo DHW/ heating systems.

As a dedicated heater to radiant they worked very well, before we had modulating equipment, their tank capacity was the buffer. Price was reasonable also.

True they had some electronic and ignitor glitches, the factory had great phone in tech support and they always sent upgraded components, often at no charge. Maybe because we had a good dealer that sold hundreds of these to commercial jobs, they kept up to date on issues..

I don't recall a combi unit, occasionally they had plate HX retrofitted to them.

Did you try the tech support call line?

12 years as a DHW and heat source, may be time to come up with a plan B?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • wcs5050
    Options
    Agreed on plan b. However I think people are likely to bite on a 25 yr replacement than a 12 yr. Have not visited job yet. Owner seems confident and knowledgable about what he has, but needs diag to avoid parts changing. He did mention there was good tech support. We'll see what I find. Thx
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    I have a pretty good troubleshooting guide I could scan and e-mail. It's 2001 version, maybe it still could help. About 10 pages.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Could just be a bad HSI. If so, make sure the tank is not leaking down onto it. If that's the case, the party's over.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Check the flame sensor as well. Sometimes all that is needed is to gently clean it and everything returns to normal.
  • wcs5050
    Options
    It was a loose 1/4 inch stake-on neutral wire connection from blower to board. It was like it floated right off from blower vibration. Of the 30 or so similar terminals, 5 were wiggly. Blower neutral was only only with no bite at all. Once it fired off I couldn't believe how quickly it satisfied. It did 34 gallons to 140degF in 5 min! Thx for the tips because I'm sure I'll be back. First open loop heating set up I've seen. Not popular here in MA.
  • OuterCapeOilguy
    OuterCapeOilguy Member Posts: 46
    Options
    When I lived in St. Louis County, Mo., I installed one of these in my house. 50-gal. Polaris, with the side taps piped to a coil in the 1960 Afco hi-boy furnace (with a cracked hx, gas burner taken out of service) for main floor heat and to a coil in a home-made air handler for the basement studio and office, powered by a salvaged B & G 100-series pump. The system worked flawlessly, and in 15 years had one problem-a bad hot-surface ignitor, which failed after 14 years. At the time I moved, the combustion blower bearings were starting to get noisy. When I switched from direct gas heat to the Polaris, my gas bills dropped by 1/3.
  • OuterCapeOilguy
    OuterCapeOilguy Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I should add that the only flaw in this "flawless" system was my choice of B & G zone valves; the end switches made very poor contact resulting in occasional chattering of the circulator relay. I've never used them since.