Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Before and after...

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I think I posted a before picture of this earlier? Not sure. I know that I posted a copy of 85 year old "blue" prints of this church a while back. Anyway, we did the boiler startup today and still have to tie in 6 cast iron radiators (with TRV's) to the manifolds and then commission the Alpha pump.

I think the biggest improvement is the amount of space now in the mechanical room. The steam boiler was shut down a while back and replaced with forced air (not by me). I agreed to take it out for them but it sure was a lot to torch/cut.
Steve Minnich
jonny88ZmanGordy

Comments

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Beautiful work.Lucky guy to get such good customers.Also may I add lucky customers.How is the boiler to work on?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Nice work, as usual.

Is that the same wall in both photos? New electrical panel as well?
  • Tinman
    @jonny88 - Thanks and I'm the lucky one. These people are great and very grateful. Everything is very is easy to work on. 8' of walking space in front of the boiler now. The control display is about 48" off the floor. The only thing that's a bit high really is the supply manifold to the radiators but I'll only need those valves if one of them need to be isolated.
    @SWEI - Thanks, and yes, same wall. I pieced in 3/4" plywood around the existing conduit and painted it machine grey. Electric panel is old and I found more than a few issues with it when I opened it up. Brought it all to their attention.
    Steve Minnich
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,586
    Love the neatness and the strap on the expansion tank. Those are the little details that always make me happy.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Tinmanjonny88
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I'd say that you've made somewhat of an improvement there. ;)
    Beautiful work, young man.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    RobGZman
  • Tinman
    More than anything Bob, thanks for calling me young man : )
    Steve Minnich
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Beautiful job, those storm king enterprise expansion tank brackets are awesome, I use them all the time.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    Tinman
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Where do you get the straps for exp tank
  • Tinman
    As of now, supplyhouse.com, but my local supply house is working on getting them in their inventory if possible and practical for them.
    Steve Minnich
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    What is that ball valve on the bottom of the primary loop with the cap on top? Looks like a check valve with a ball valve built on to it.
    Rick
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948

As of now, supplyhouse.com, but my local supply house is working on getting them in their inventory if possible and practical for them.

Stephen,

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure MidLakes and Engler carry them. One of the two for sure. I don't do much in the way of needing expansion tanks, but one time... way back when.. I recall needing one so I looked for a strap.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    @rich in alaska - It's a Jomar Filter Ball Valve. Same idea as a y-strainer with a somewhat smaller strainer. When you close the valve, it spins the basket strainer so it is accessible when the plug is removed. You only lose a few ounces of water and your strainer is cleaned in less than a minute most times.
    Steve Minnich
    CanuckerZman
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Nice! I will have to look into them and find out who stocks them locally.
    Rick