Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need advice quick

Options
Robel
Robel Member Posts: 3
Hi, I'm a single mom of an 18mo and 3 yr. I have been without heat or hot water for a week and looking at at least 2 more weeks of the same. I have a steam system (single pipe return) in an 80 yo house. I replaced my coal-oil converted boiler 9 years ago. It has corroded from the inside out and I need to replace ASAP. I have a non-metered gas line into the house but am looking at a 6-9 month wait for Con Ed to hook up. I'd like to install a new oil boiler that can be converted to gas as soon as ConEd gets going. I have been told by two different contractors that their boiler is better. One recommends a Weil Maclain, the other Burnham. What is my better option for best conversion and efficiency? With temps dropping to 28 this weekend I need a fast answer thanks.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I can't comment about which is better, but anyone that can is going to need more information. First which model of each brand of boiler are they proposing? If the Burnham is a Megasteam that is the best oil boiler out there right now, BUT it can not be converted to gas because Burnham doesn't approve it for that use (voids warranty). Another question that comes to mind is your warranty. Every boiler I have seen has a 10 year warranty on the heat exchanger. Have the contractors contacted the manufacturer about this? What brand boiler do you currently have? 9 years is really short, whatever killed that boiler should be fixed with the new install or this WILL happen again. Those boilers should last 30 years with proper care and maintenance. Also make sure these people do the install correctly and to the manufacturers specifications. Steam boilers seem to be installed incorrectly more often than not. They also seem to be sized improperly more often than not so make sure they are measuring all your radiators and sizing by that and NOT by what you currently have. You want to make sure all of this is correct or you WILL be paying for it for the life of the boiler. Might not be bad idea to post pictures of your current boiler to get better input from everyone here. We can tell you if what you have now is correct and possibly help you determine what caused the premature failure of your current boiler, that is if the contractors haven't figured it out yet.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Ironman
  • Robel
    Options
    I was told it was a 5 compartment boiler (Smith). The company that installed it was bought by Burke and they have no records. They stopped honoring my service contract and I stopped using them. Therefore, the contractor that did the install is no longer available. The three different people I've had come in have all commented that they have never seen something like this happen. I'm not interested in continuing to use oil as the pricing is killing me so the megasteam is not an option. The house is 1800 sq ft. I'm not getting model numbers....I'm getting a lot of patronizing BS as though I don't know what I'm talking about, including the "you don't want to convert to gas, it's less efficient". I'll post a pic as soon as I can. The system worked fine for the first 8 years I had it, plenty of heat, normal oil consumption. Issues arose this year when I fired it up and it starting kicking CO and back burning. Scheduled service call found the crack inside and the unit has been shut down. I have an internal coil for hot water so no separate hot water heater.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Generally speaking they fail from excessive water usage which is a function of your system not necessarily the boiler. Have any of the contractors spoken of water usage, checking the system anything like that? They should be. Where are you located we may be able to recommend a good steam contractor in your area. To be specific if it is at all possible you want a good steam contractor, not all HVAC/plumbers are good with steam. I know you are in a hurry, but you want it right. We see people come here all the time after a bad install and it can be a nightmare to get it right after the fact. It is also generally cheaper to get it done right the first time (even though it might seem more expensive). Hopefully you live within the service area of one of the good guys on here.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Robel
    Options
    I'm in northern Westchester NY. I'm in a rush but not that badly. I'm not sure what you mean by water usage.....As in the boiler calling for water too often? Or household water usage. Household usage is pretty low.....I work full time and the kids are out of the house. Consumption isn't much more than when I was there alone. Heat settings are also on the low side (64 degrees evenings and mornings, 60 during the day and night with a programmable thermostat). If you can recommend someone knowledgeable in actual steam that would be great. Mostly what I'm finding are oil services or plumbers.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Definitely something not right. I would not sign a contract for replacement until you find out the root cause of the problem.

How is the water there? Are you on a well, or city water?

What kind (and condition) is the existing oil burner?
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    The boiler using water excessively...this is EXTREMELY important on steam boilers and should be monitored in some way, preferably by the homeowner. Excess water usage by the boiler or poor quality water is usually what kills them. Also as far as the warranty goes that is by Smith, not the contractor so the fact that you don't use the installer shouldn't have anything to do with that. It might be worth it to at least contact Smith and see what they say...it will only "cost" you a phone call.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Are you sure that the boiler is really in need of replacement? How do you know that it is cracked? Fill the boiler to top of glass plus another minute or so. Idea is to make sure boiler is filled past the top. See if there is any water dripping out.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There are ways to reduce heating costs that have nothing to do with the fuel that the boiler burns. Proper venting is critical. In addition, proper boiler boiler piping will make or break any installation.
    Any oil boiler can technically be converted to gas. Some manufacturers allow and some don't.
    Making unapproved alterations will void warranties. One very important thing to keep in mind is that warranties rarely get paid. You are at the absolute mercy of the manufacturer.
    The boiler needs to be correctly sized. Anyone who does not walk around and measure btu output /edr of radiatorsome should be shown the outside part of the front door.
    I would recommend an indirect water heater for your hot water needs.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hello Robel, I went to the "find a contractor" link on this site and found 14 contractors listed within 30 miles of your zip code. You've got good choices!

Yours, Larry
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Something to consider on the conversion.
    Most boilers are an easy conversion from propane to natural gas. You could set a temporary propane tank until the gas meter is set.
    The advise above about your existing boiler is excellent.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    jonny88JUGHNERobGvaporvac