Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I "need" a tigerloop?

Options
Hi all,

firstly, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I did a search but couldn't find what I needed.

I'm a complete novice with regards to all things oil so forgive me my basic lingo/knowledge, please.

In March, oil stopped flowing to burner. Checked tank. Oil was low but not empty. Called my regular tech out and he bled the system (by manually sucking the air out! Gross) and things worked fine again...for a week and a half. Same thing happened so called him again. He came out, did the same, checked the oil filter, and said all should be fine. It was...for another two weeks, then it stopped again. He came out a third time, pulled through a load more oil, and claimed that all the air was gone. It worked for another three weeks and then stopped again. At this point, having very little money (I'm a mature student) and the ambient temp warming, I decided to leave it and get it sorted when the temperature began to drop...which is now.

The external tank is higher than the boiler and around twenty feet away. It is single line system with a top outlet on the external tank, as can be seen in the photos. I contacted a new tech who, over the phone, claimed he knew what it would be (blocked filters he said, which I agree with). He then said that I would definitely need a tigerloop fitted.

Having done a bit of research, I understand the benefits of a tigerloop in my system however I can't help but feel that I don't "need" one in order for the system to be up and running again. I have had zero issues with air in the system up until this problem occurred, and the system is around 15 years old. He claims that he would be unwilling to do the work unless he fitted a tigerloop.

So my question is, is he correct? Am i just being tight? I can't help but feel like my lack of knowledge is being taken advantage of.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Comments

• swanseajack_22
    swanseajack_22 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reply. Much appreciated.

If it is a tiny air leak, then I guess a tigerloop is really the only sensible way to go, I suppose.

Time to start saving my pennies...
  • swanseajack_22
    swanseajack_22 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    That's a possibility, but I'm thinking that I'll still have to call out the tech to pull the oil through the system (unless I want to physically suck it myself. Which I don't, tbh) and if I'm paying for the call out fee I want to give myself the best chance of not having to call him out again, and the Spin-on filter isn't going to work for definite is it? I could end up having to call him again to fit the tigerloop anyway.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your suggestions in anyway.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    One pipe suction feeds really test the limits of burner pumps, trouble written all over them. The tiniest of air leaks, even thru the packing of a fire valve, and the burner pump loses it's prime. Another issue is as the line ages, debris starts to restrict the line, which increases and exceeds the pumps pulling capacity. Foaming occurs, the pump loses it's prime. The situation worsens as the oil level in the tank drops. The tech should do due diligence re checking leak paths, and has vacuum readings and a line pull calculation to confirm. Regardless, the Loop should be standard on any one pipe lift system.
    swanseajack_22Zman
  • OuterCapeOilguy
    OuterCapeOilguy Member Posts: 46
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, everyone "needs" a Tigerloop. There are a number of issues which can cause loss of prime, and which-as Hatterasguy pointed out-can drive one to distraction trying to find-and which a deaerator (for which TigerLoop is a particular brand) will solve. It also eliminates the need to prime the fuel unit. It will also give a visual indication of a persistent air leak in the supply line by showing foam in the jar, which normally should clear up within a few minutes if all is well. A spin-on filter, whether part of the deaerator or installed separately, is another huge improvement. Another benefit, for those with tanks located outdoors as yours appears to be, ist that the oil has a chance to warm up before it reaches the burner, leading to much better atomization and a cleaner burn. Nowadays, deaerators and spin-ons, whether installed as one unit or separately, are installed with vacuum guages which give a visual indication of filter loading and also of whether the suction line is obstructed (as by sludge in the tank). I would highly recommend that you have a deaerator and spin on filter installed at the earliest opportunity. NOTE: While "TigerLoop" is a popular brand, and has become a generic name for these devices, the Sid Harvey "Smart-Flo™" is, in my opinion, a better product (available from the wholesaler Sid Harvey, Inc.). Just my opinion....
  • holocron
    holocron Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Old thread, new comment: Recently having issue and tech has suggested installing a Tigerloop. What's a reasonable cost estimate to install one of these?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    holocron said:

Old thread, new comment: Recently having issue and tech has suggested installing a Tigerloop. What's a reasonable cost estimate to install one of these?

I'm sorry, but cost, particularly on installations, is one of the few things we do not put on this site.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Tiger loops are being installed randomly as "band aids" Systems that previously worked for years and start having problems don't need a TL
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    First find the cause of the issue, if there is one. Once the problem is solved then a Tigerloop can be installed and as far as I'm concerned if the issue has been solved there is no down side to having one installed (aside from cost) and there are some benefits.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker