Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Megasteam Selection

Hey Guys ,

I need to select a Megasteam and would like opinions . My connected load is 431 square feet placing me in the middle of the 396 and the 513. Existing V7 is 1 gph at 140 psi . I'm thinking that the 396 will still be a heck of alot better than what I have but I'm not going to dispute the numbers. Thanks for replies.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    How well insulated are the pipes?
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Everything is 1 inch fiberglass that I can get to. I have some aluminum jacket for everything but I have not got that on yet.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    The smaller one, the 33% pickup will more than cover the difference
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    KC_JonesZman
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    The MST396 will be perfect........
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • hvacfreak2
    Thanks for the replies.

Question : Pick up factor of 1.33 and 431 sq. ft. gets me to 137 MBH . The MST 396 is rated at 127 MBH DOE . Is this difference acceptable ? The MST 513 is rated at 164 DOE .
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    You should be fine. The MST 513 is going to put you at almost 20% oversized on rated EDR PLUS the 33% additional pick-up factor. The MST 396 will still leave you close to 20% pick-up factor.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553
    MST396 without a doubt.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SWEI
  • hvacfreak2
    Thank you very much , 396 it is.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller