Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator re-pipe. Copper or Pex?

2»

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    we don't discuss price here ... one of the rules. Send him a private message
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    gt0081a
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    For over 100 years, brass spuds have been screwed into cast iron rads......black iron pipe have been screwed into brass supply valves that the spud connects to.

I don't know of any problems with any of the materials have had issues.....maybe others would please comment if they have had different outcomes.

This is with hot water or steam. And the steam systems open to air with every cycle.
    gt0081aethicalpaul
  • JerseyDIYguy
    JerseyDIYguy Member Posts: 27

Doesn't the prohibition on price discussions only apply to contractor pricing, bids, and estimates for services?

As a DIY'er I don't have a "price" for the job I did, I only have my expenses for materials which are easy to find from online stores.

As an example, one online source for pex and plumbing supplies currently sells the materials I used at the following:

300 feet of 1/2" Fostapex ~$300
    20 Pex press fittings ~$200
    Pex Press crimp tool ~$200
    Fostapex prep tool ~$60
    Copper manifolds and various copper fittings ~$200
    100 pex clips ~$50
    Misc hardware and supplies ~$100

Throw in tax and you get around $1200 in materials.
    gt0081aRich_49Mbyrnes92
  • Mbyrnes92
    Mbyrnes92 Member Posts: 16
    What type of circulator pump are you running with that setup I’m in the process of building a very similar heating system 
    DennisBrownNYC
  • DennisBrownNYC
    DennisBrownNYC Member Posts: 26
    Mbyrnes92 said:

What type of circulator pump are you running with that setup I’m in the process of building a very similar heating system 

Looking for the same thing as well.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    edited October 2020
    @JerseyDIYguy -- sorry, but the prohibition on price applies to you, too. Fix your posts.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766

Doesn't the prohibition on price discussions only apply to contractor pricing, bids, and estimates for services?

As a DIY'er I don't have a "price" for the job I did, I only have my expenses for materials which are easy to find from online stores.

As an example, one online source for pex and plumbing supplies currently sells the materials I used at the following:

Fostapex prep tool ~$60
    100 pex clips ~$50

That is correct . Prices that can be found online are not out of bounds , at least last time I remember but that may have changed
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • JerseyDIYguy
    JerseyDIYguy Member Posts: 27
    Mbyrnes92 said:

It's a Taco 007-F5. Very basic (it's either on at full speed, or off), but reliable. It's been working fine since 2006. From the earlier discussions upthread, there are systems that operate more efficiently with more sophisticated pumps, however, the Taco was there when I started the project so I stuck with it.

For the folks concerned about my posting of a list of retail heating parts prices from an unidentified source, if you could point me to the rules about such things I'll be happy to edit my post.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Rich_49 said:

Fostapex prep tool ~$60
    100 pex clips ~$50

That is correct . Prices that can be found online are not out of bounds , at least last time I remember but that may have changed
    Yes, prices for products are ok to post. We just can't post pricing for jobs because they vary so much depending on the job, location, etc. This could also lead to price fixing, which is illegal. Thank you!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    ChrisJethicalpaul