Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Site Problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi Fred.......Was away for a couple days.....All the video ads that were auto-running seem to have disappeared....you? I did nothing that changed that.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Hey Paul48, They went away for me too. It definitely was the Maytag ad, trying to run the washer guy's video. I ran fine for two days and then this morning he (that Maytag ad) showed up again on this site and everything went bonkers again. I finally went to "Tools" on my IE and raised my "Pop-Up Blocker" to "HiGH" and the ads are gone again. I had to clear my cache again and, with the Pop-Up Blocker on High, I had to open my Home page and then click on "Pop-Up Blocker" and select "Allow Pop-ups on this page only" otherwise the homepage search bar doesn't work. We'll see how this goes. I'm sure there is some kind of conflict with IE and that particular Goggle/Maytag ad.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    I use Firefox -- and love it -- and Norton as my main security suite. Operating system is Windows 7/64 Professional.

Couple of things. First, never -- ever -- download something from a pop-up. If you want to download something, go find the site for the publisher and download from there. Second, set Adobe Flash to run only with your permission; in Firefox you can do this from the tools. I have not idea how to do it from other browsers.

Third, make sure that the programs you do use are really up to date. Do NOT ignore updates. Most of them are not put out there for the entertainment of the publishers...

And the only problem I'm having with this site is that I used to stay signed in, and now I don't. Not a big deal.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I'm sure it's how it reads the HTML, for that particular ad.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    I'm glad Fred mentioned the pop-up blocker. It should always be on, at the highest strength your browse and firewall and security suite allow. You can always click to allow pop-ups if you really want to be hassled by them -- but you're much safer if you don't allow them. Some of the more clever of them have an embedded but invisible download click area in them; click it and you have absolutely no idea what is going to get loaded into your machine; if your firewall doesn't scream at you, you may be in serious trouble.

All of which, incidentally, applies to those of you using Macs, to.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    I use firefox and it does really help with issues. However, as @Jamie , I also have to sign in now as of about a week ago, and there's no option to stay signed in.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,299
    Options
    @Jim_R, I just sorted out a glitch with the Google+ login and it's fully functional now. Thanks for the heads up.

@Paul48 and @Fred, thanks for the additional information. As @DanHolohan said, the ads pay the bills and help us provide you with fantastic resources. We do not, however, want them to negatively impact user experience by making the site inoperable for you, so I will keep an eye on this and see if Google has made any recent changes to the way they serve their ads. With the many browsers, operating systems, and individual user settings out there, it is a challenge for us to ensure that all ads will play well with every user, but we do welcome your feedback because it helps us make this place even better - so please keep it coming.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options