Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another license on Long Island

2»

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    hope your now not a said dog lol
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    so when do you know when to pull the plug.It always seems like its going to get better and the future is brighter guess I got to stop believing the BS from contractors.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,347
    Pull the plug day after you die.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    SWEIvaporvacjonny88Zman
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I know that guy in the video. I worked for his brother. He didn't pay his bills either.

By the time he got done bending over customers that couldn't afford what he was selling, he never got paid.

Funny, the actor couple, whenever I saw that look on their faces, I knew I had gone too far in sales. With 24 hours to cool off, they changed their minds and went with someone cheaper and of less quality. They bought something they could afford.

When you go to a car dealer to buy a new car, why do you think they have so many differently priced packages for choices? So you have choices, and they can bargain with you.

Flexibility is a really good thing.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    People that know and care about me, noted the change immediately after I shut down. The stress level went from 11 to 2....3 on a "stressful" day. Some of us really are more tradesmen than business owner if there's a ratio. I ALWAYS loved the work, but the difficult people and employees can turn you off. I'm happier than ever: "The pipe. ....she is my friend...." hee hee. Mad Dog
    Charlie from wmassRobGjonny884Johnpipe
  • Charlie from wmass
    edited April 2015
    We all need to find our happy. That's why I work alone.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    SWEI
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Some people and employees are genuine @$$hats.

A good example is last nights new episode of "Deadliest Catch".
  • Mikey Lasagna
    Mikey Lasagna Member Posts: 10
    icesailor said:

Remember.

They're smart. You're not. It is in YOUR best interest to make them think that you actually think that way.

Very true, especially in Southampton..
  • jonny88
    So true Mad dog.Running a business is the hard part.I recommend a business course before you even venture into going alone.I say this in hindsight .Lets face it working is the part we all enjoy and I assumed the rest would fall into place.My wife however is getting tired of the assumptions.If its ok Mad Dog I might reach out to you over the weekend.Thanks again.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265
    Not sure if this was said but lead wiping was removed from the NYC test before I took my exam in 1997.
    So, I guess around 1995. My father and brother both had to wipe ferrules for their licenses, but I had to make perfect solder joints from ½"-3" and make an 8-sided figure out of ¾" back nipples and have it hold under pressure.

They way they want it is harder than you'd think, and you're graded against each other, so your work can be drop-dead beautiful, yet not good enough for a license.

To give it some perspective, When I showed up for the initial orientation for the exam, I was in a giant auditorium with close to 2,500 applicants.
    The City gave out 28 licenses that year.
    That's about a 1% passing rate.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mad Dog_2
    Of course. Anytime. Btw, I started a new thread about our annual picnic put on by The Nassau Board of plumbing examiners on 8 July in Oyster Bay. Why don't you come. I'll introduce you to a lot of good folk. Isn't that guy Scully out of Malverne? Bring him out too. This is a nice relaxing day by the bay.....networking, learning, chewin' the fat, talkin shop....just a good old-fashioned American picnic. Mad Dog.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,432
    We are out of Malverne and we'll do our best to get there! I will keep you posted, and thanks for the opportunity Mad Dog!
  • jonny88
    Great look forward to meeting some new faces.
    Thank you
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    Business is a lot more fun when you are making a decent living. Took me a while to learn the ropes. The first 5 years weren't so hot. One day I stumbled across some of Ellen Rohr's business training material. I took it to heart and what a change! It really involves you knowing exactly what your cost of doing business is per billable hr. How many billable hrs you realistically get, and what you need to charge to make what you want to make.

This is where I tripled my rates on the spot. It was that or I was going to quit. I'm glad I didn't quit. I switched over into a combination system of flat rate pricing, contract pricing and per hour pricing.

I only lost a few customers out of hundreds.

Sorry if this is completely off topic.
    4JohnpipeBob Bona_4
  • ddefabio87
    ddefabio87 Member Posts: 1
    If you have a plumbing license in Suffolk county do you need a separate license for islip town?
  • jonny88
    Good question I would think you do as Suffolk won't honor islip license.is what it is I guess you give up and play their game
  • Mad Dog_2
    Great insight Harvey. Holohan, Al Levi, Ellen, Hot Rod, the many great articles in P & M over the years, and many a great hydronic and business minds here, were a great help in buidling my business, stayin outta trouble (with the tax man, Thanks Pam!) and makin some money. I still remember reading an article by the editor, Jim Olstynski (spelling?) about whether some of us were really better off working for someone else. It struck a chord with me at the time because I was full out, balls-to-the-wall, Gung -Ho..... taking on all comers......'nobody can fix it? BULL! we will!' It was an exciting time and I was learning so much and building my repetoire and resume.

That internal chord resonated in my mind....that although, I loved the boilers, pipes and the wrenches and the mechanical difficulties, the business, financing, accounting stuff WAS NOT FOR ME! So, I brought in good help in that area. but even after we got things under control and had those financials in front of me, I said THATS all I'm really making???????? My top employees are making the same as I am, and I still have to pay benefits and 401K at of that! 6 1/2 days a week....sometimes 7. 12-14 hour days.....

It was a bit of a transition, but my stress level went from 11 to 2 on a scale of 1 -10. The steady check and bennies go a loooong way in the way of inner peace and tranquility. That's why you guys have seen me return to The Wall: I am finally off the runaway rollercoaster of running a business, and can actually enjoy LEARNING and relearning my trade. Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    License reciprocity: The only way to know for sure is to call THAT town or village and ask if they reciprocate. In general though, in Suffolk County, Huntington and Islip are very highly regarded licences (not easy to get) and will usually be accepted in the other towns and Villages of Suffolk and even some in Nassau to pull a permit. I know its confusing, and that is why I joined great organizations like the Nassau County PHCC and got involved with The Joint Board of Plumbing Examiners for Nassau County. At these monthly dinners, we'd discuss issues such as these and how to deal with them, whom to go speak to. I am a FIRM believer in Jumping right in with both feet to the organizations of one's chosen fiild. You stay ahead of the pack and avois many pitfalls, plus, you get to be around other successful people in your trade. Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Danny, Jonny, all you young lads.....come down to the picnic and get involved a little and you and your businesses will gain ALOT. Guaranteed. A little fun on a July afternoon by the Bay of Oyster will do ya good......food, a few cold ones, great music, talk shop with fellow plumbing and heating warriors of the past, present and future. Ill keep posting picnic updates here, and you can follow it on our website: www.plumbingexaminers.com

Mad Dog
    jonny88
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,996

Harvey RamerHarvey Ramer Posts: 971Member ✭✭✭

May 8

Business is a lot more fun when you are making a decent living. Took me a while to learn the ropes. The first 5 years weren't so hot. One day I stumbled across some of Ellen Rohr's business training material. I took it to heart and what a change! It really involves you knowing exactly what your cost of doing business is per billable hr. How many billable hrs you realistically get, and what you need to charge to make what you want to make.

This is where I tripled my rates on the spot. It was that or I was going to quit. I'm glad I didn't quit. I switched over into a combination system of flat rate pricing, contract pricing and per hour pricing.

I only lost a few customers out of hundreds.

Sorry if this is completely off topic

Good post Harvey,

My accountant told me when I started that I should charge 3 X what I wanted to earn. Of course I didn't listen. I wasn't into it but a few weeks and decided my rates weren't going to cut it and raised them. I was always afraid of charging too much. I probably ended up at 2 1/2 X and it should have been more. I think the accountant was right.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I think I'm going to need you to walk me thru posting pictures, Hat. Can rebuild a Honda CBX six cylinder, can't put a picture on HH. smh.
  • Charlie from wmass
    You click attach a file Bob.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    Bob, If you have a smartphone with a high end camera 16 mega pixel, the file size is a bit larger than HH likes. Best way to get around that is to open a Dropbox account to store files. Also download Dropbox app to your phone. Then you can upload a picture to Dropbox and share a link to that picture or folder, here on HH.