Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there a heating expert Richard McGrath on here?

Options
JoshJ
JoshJ Member Posts: 1
Hey, I just looked at your response to a question I asked on a green building blog, and I just wanted to ask how much it would cost me to have you don an expert design of a radiant heating system for my next house (I already sold the one referred to in the post--people love in-floor heat. Also, the house had none of the problems you predicted. Like I said, the temperature is within three degrees in all rooms in the house. And the boiler is working just fine. So actually, every single thing you said would happen has not happened.)

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh , you mean this one .

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/mechanicals/39775/why-it-so-trendy-hate-radiant-floor-heat

Glad everything worked out for you . So why'd you sell it ? I'll bet the boiler is working real good , for about 1 to 2 minutes at a time . I sure do wish I could achieve 3 degree temp variations from room to room . Good thing for you is that you sold it and when it becomes a problem for the unsuspecting purchaser we'll be here to help . My contact info is below .
    Anyway , good luck to you .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    CanuckerHarvey RamerRobG
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    And he'll return under an alias name, no doubt.
    Steve Minnich
    icesailorjonny88
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    This sounds like the start of another Mr. MM thread. :(
    Rich_49
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Thats exactly the thread I thought of when I read this on GBA .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Looks like it is this guy,
    http://www.sisubuilders.com/about.html
    The system he installed looks like a perfect fit for the work he is doing...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    RobG
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    Should of installed a buffer tank and zoned every single room in the house. If that boiler isn't short cycling with that design would only be because you have such high DT a crossed the supply and return. That boiler has a pretty high minimal firing rate of 18,000 btus. Its not hard to do the math and see that if you where on a traditional design radiant system that boiler would short cycle like crazy and luckily Navien has a built in time delay to help prevent short cycling.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I am wondering how he got his statistical data when he just built and sold the house? It takes most people at least a couple of seasons. Even a forced air system properly designed can keep a home at less than a three degree temperature swing. You don't get what you don't pat for. If the OP is still lurking I would love to see photos of the install.
    Rich_49njtommy