Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This is a no no

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,422
Do you just walk out or call plumbing inspector and chimney inspector, what do you do? Or should I ask what's the right thing to do?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    That can vary depending on your jurisdiction. At the very least, leave it turned off and get the HO to sign your invoice acknowledging that he has been advised that it's dangerous, doesn't meet code and should not be operated. Close the gas and red tag it. Take pics.

In my area, I would also disable it by disconnecting a control wire so the HO couldn't simply open the gas cock and restart it. That may get you in trouble in some places.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    RobG
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I would do what Bob said and give them a quote right away on doing the necessary repairs.
    Steve Minnich
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Why did they call you? I might try to explain,the situation, but my hands would touch nothing….If they don’t listen, then do an about face, and say see ya later have a nice day…Its really a tuff call depending on where you live…In ,Mass. if we see a violation our code coves such a thing…I always tried to do the right thing…People are funny out here….One common answer from a home owner,,hay its been like that for years and worked fine…In his head he’s thinking your making work and costing him money….
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    If it is in Massachusetts, neither the fairly new water heater or the furnace were ever permitted or inspected. Whomever installed and left it that way, if licensed, could be sanctioned and loose their license.

If it IS in Massachusetts, the Homeowner should call the town inspectional services to have an immediate inspection.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    That is on of the more egregious WOS candidates we have seen in awhile. Whoa!
  • icesailor
    SWEI said:

That is on of the more egregious WOS candidates we have seen in awhile. Whoa!

I've seen worse on the HVAC-talk WOS board.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Call the fire marshall, at the very least maybe they can post a rescue unit outside for faster response

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Jean-David Beyer
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,632
    Ironman covered it. It does not matter what others may say PYOB and leave it safe. I would add send them a registered letter.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    The scary part is that furnace is almost 30 years old. I can't believe there could be anything left to the chimney. Almost 30 years of operation, there must have been other contractors who have seen and did nothing. Sad
  • icesailor
    Dennis said:

The scary part is that furnace is almost 30 years old. I can't believe there could be anything left to the chimney. Almost 30 years of operation, there must have been other contractors who have seen and did nothing. Sad

I don't know how old the furnace is, but that water heater isn't 30 years old.

Is that fan assisted furnace exhaust allowed to be connected into the same flue as the natural draft/draft hood water heater?

• bricksea
    bricksea Member Posts: 13
    Love the duct tape. Can we call it chimney tape?