Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noise from Steam Risers/Branch lines

Options
LFsuper
LFsuper Member Posts: 29
Hi,

I manage a new construction, large residential building. Apartments heated by steam coil (PTAC units) Steam operates with a vacuum system on a 2 pipe system. We have good vacuum (-15 Hg), All equipment is 3 years old. Our issue is noise from the wall even when a tenant may not have their heating unit running ( some even 17 floors up so no whwere near the trap). Occasionally getting a popping, banging noise that eventually goes away but returns later.

Boilers set at 6 psi. Main electronic valve position dictated by outside temp ( I have dialed back the compensator as I feel we were overheating and actually blowing through the Erie actuator valves on the PTAC units)

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    Probably expansion noises. These can be hard to track down -- and even harder to fix, particularly if it's in a wall or chase where a riser is sticking against something.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LFsuper
  • LFsuper
    LFsuper Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Right, I think this is exactly the issue. Possibly made worse with poor insulation or any exposure to elements?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Any setbacks in temperature will increase the expansion and contraction of the pipes, resulting in more noise, and fuel consumption.--NBC
    LFsuperZman