Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

no hot water with a side arm

Options
built a new house 1 year ago put in a 4400 woodmaster stove works great but I have had really high power bills since day one $200 + every month. started trouble shooting with a clamp on amp meter found my hot water heater was running even though I have it connected to my wood stove.... so I shut the breaker off and only get warm water now meaning my side arm is not doing what its meant to do. my wood stove runs at 160 to 170 degrees and the side arm is extremely hot but no hot water. I have attached a picture of how the plumbing is done on the hot water heater. please help my wife misses her hot water. we have been turning the hot water heater on a hour or 2 before showers but we shouldn't have to do that.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Can you post an actual pic or two of the piping and side arm?

Is the re-circ pump running continuously?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hickory_hollow
    hickory_hollow Member Posts: 5
    Options
    yes the re-circ pump runs all day and off at night its on a timer ill work on a pic or two.
  • hickory_hollow
    Options
    new pictures
  • hickory_hollow
    Options
    imageimageimageimage
  • hickory_hollow
    Options
    Ironman can you see the pic?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    It won't work. It needs a pump. It won't circulate that way.

He/you shows a line from the HX entering into the top of the tank, separately from the hot and cold. There's only three holes in the top of a water heater tank. Maybe four if you count the anode rod hole. Did you remove the temperature pressure relief valve and enter there? You CAN'T!!! do that.

You just can't.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options

imageimageimageimage

Pictures didn't load.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Is there a rating for that sidearm? In terms of BTU per hour? And -- how much flow from the hot water tank actually goes through the sidearm? If you are depending on gravity circulation, it isn't going to be much. You need to take a serious look at how many BTU/hour that sidearm can deliver, and your water flow through it, to figure out whether or not it can deliver the amount of hot water you want.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Close the summer/winter ball valve so that it is open 1/4 turn. If you have one, and you should, or you will experience exactly what you are having issues with. Could not see pics