Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Staying safe

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
In weather like we're having, what advice would you give homeowers about their heating systems that could save their lives?
Retired and loving it.
MikeL_2

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Check that sidewall vents (furnance/hot water/dryer) have not been blocked by snow.
    Mark EathertonJean-David Beyer
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Make sure any outside vents are clear, some areas have seen very heavy drifting of snow.

Also make sure all smoke and CO detectors are working.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Gordy
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,364
    Options

Check that sidewall vents (furnance/hot water/dryer) have not been blocked by snow.

Not just sidewall -- in some structures the roof drifts can get to four or five feet (or more!), and the roof needs to be checked, too.

Also -- and it sounds silly -- make sure there is enough fuel in the tank, if you heat with oil or LP.

If you feel a need for auxiliary heat -- don't ever use a ventless LP appliance without CO detectors, and even then not in a bedroom (some codes prohibit them entirely). And keep any auxiliary heater well away from anything even remotely flammable.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GordyRobG
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One thing I forgot - make sure there is a path shoveled to the oil tank fill. You don't want to give an old tired oil delivery man any excuses same thing holds if you use propane.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    GordyRobG
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Keep an eye out on your NEIGHBORS vents, especially the elderly and disabled. And as others have stated, make sure you have a working CO and smoke detector near the sleeping areas of the home.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

GordySWEIRobG
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Funny, got a no heat call today 95% warm air furnace , turned out to a frozen exhaust vent.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lets not forget the electric space heaters and lamp cords. I caught one of my customers with a 1200 watt space heater running with a 16 gauge extension cord. I made them go buy a heavier cord.

A 16 gauge extension cord that has any length will not carry the load of a 1200 watt heater. The cord will heat up and start a fire.

Please use heavy duty 14 gauge or 12 gauge cords if you must use a space heater. Make sure you plug it into a receptacle where it fits tightly. If the socket feels loose, plug it in somewhere else till you get the receptacle replaced.

GordySWEIRobG
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Look out for each other along with what is mentioned above.
    jonny88RobG
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Great advice, guys. All of this is so important for the homeowners to know. I'm going to add it to the Blog section so it sticks around. If you want to add anything else, please do. Thanks for saving lives!
    Retired and loving it.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Don't turn the thermostats to the lowest settings in unused spaces. The pipes will freeze during the off period. Don't use setback thermostats. Set them together for a reasonable temperature.

If you lower an inside thermostat by 20 degrees to save money, and the system was designed for zero, and can barely make it, lowering the thermostat by 20 degrees is the same as dropping the outside air temperature to -20 degrees. If it is blowing 40+ MPH, that makes the infiltration factors go way up.
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    Options
    In the event of a power outage, do not use your outdoor grille, or generator in the garage, and, make sure fire hydrants are shoveled out. Please keep ladders, bodies, and, roof rakes away from power lines...........
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Here's what we have. If you'd like to add to it, let me know. Thanks: https://heatinghelp.com/blog/staying-safe-when-the-weather-is-snowy?stage=Stage
    Retired and loving it.
    Mark Eatherton
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    If they have not had their annual inspection and maintenance done yet, do it as soon as the service technician can get it done. Why wait until New Year's eve to do some maintenance?