Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

POLARIS WATER HEATER

Options
Tim Potter
Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
I want to be proactive, I want to have a plan for if & when the tank goes. I dont want to be scrambling late at night with my boiler guy discussing a plan.
I just purchased a 14 year old condo with the Polaris (PG1034-100-2nv) 34 gal, 100,000 BTU providing DHW & infloor radiant in GYP.
DHW & heat are separated by a flat plate heat exchanger, has a mixing valve to temper DHW, & 2nd mixing valve to limit water temps in the tubing.
600 sq ft condo, top floor, end unit, 9000' elevation FRASER, CO Design day -20*.
Havent had a chance to do a heat loss yet, (tenant occupy till april), but it can't be much.
006 pump to FPHE
007 pump for the 3 loops,

Thank You for any thoughts & input,

Tim

Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    A small combi boiler like the Bosch GreenStar.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    I would use an HTP Phoenix , PH100-55 . There should only be a bit of repipe since it is similarly designed with the exception of modulation . If you are happy with how this has performed and the lifecycle of it you'll be happier knowing the Phoenix will last longer than this one has . Choice is yours , light duty may be better suited in BTU size . Less work and less BTUs than any combi without worrying about cold water sandwich , DHW priority , not enough GPM . Pretty damn close to existing with a boost in efficiency .

http://www.htproducts.com/phoenixwaterheater.html

http://www.htproducts.com/phoenixldwaterheater.html

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Options
    Thank You for the input guys.
    What do i need to be aware of, or is there any high failure rate parts that I should have on hand for this unit?

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    This may be one of the few cases where a water heater makes sense. Your design day heat loss is probably less than 15k. The typical day would be single digits. They don't make boilers that small.
    I think adding outdoor reset controls with a boiler protection feature would give you better comfort and insure that the btu hungry slab does not rob you of a hot shower one day.
    You could do that with either a variable speed injection control on the domestic side or a smart mixing valve in place of the one you have.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Zman said:

This may be one of the few cases where a water heater makes sense. Your design day heat loss is probably less than 15k. The typical day would be single digits. They don't make boilers that small.
    I think adding outdoor reset controls with a boiler protection feature would give you better comfort and insure that the btu hungry slab does not rob you of a hot shower one day.
    You could do that with either a variable speed injection control on the domestic side or a smart mixing valve in place of the one you have.

I agree, you already have a heat exchanger so a simple swap would be the best bet. If it's been working for fourteen years as is just leave it as is.