Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Modcon cleaning based on fuel use

Options
MikeG
MikeG Member Posts: 169
Is anyone doing a cleaning based on amount of fuel use or type of fuel? I understand a lot of factors play into this. Quite a few agree that LPG is dirtier than natural gas, there are envionmental factors, type of HX, low temp vs high temp, proper install etc. One would think that a boiler that used 1500 gal of LPG would possibly need cleaning more often than one that only used 700 gal. Is anyone seeing this? Are there boilers that have the equivelent of something like the oil change light on a car? I personally do look at annual servicing as maybe different than cleaning. A combustion check, gas pressure check, system pressure and all around check may be needed every year, cleaning the HX maybe every other year. I have a Munchkin 80M on LPG installed 7 years ago. I use about 1000-1200 gal a year for heat and DHW. I find that I need to clean the HX every other year. Just wondering. Thanks MIke

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    Assuming they were dialed in properly at start up, the biggest variable seems to be the air they breath. Some installers claim even high pollen levels can cause deposits, thinking that the clean, fresh, high altitude mountain air is free from pollutants.

In one of my installations, the HX needed cleaning every six months due to then gravel parking surrounding the building.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    My experience is that the environment is typically more of a problem than the fuel. Now if you are down south and close to the gas production facilities the gas may have more condensables and impurities there fore would require more cleaning.

It also depends on the design of the equipment and how the firing and condensate produced are disposed of.

The heat exchangers used on the Munchkin have a tendency to need more attention than some others. Most of them I have seen that went more than two heating seasons had a problem.

If the unit runs year round and gets its air for combustion from outside (sidewall vented) then sprays/fertilizers used on plants and lawns have proved to be a problem.

Cast aluminum are also more susceptible to problems if not given annual service and cleaning. A combustion analysis should also be done once a year.
    icesailorZman
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    hot rod said:

Assuming they were dialed in properly at start up, the biggest variable seems to be the air they breath. Some installers claim even high pollen levels can cause deposits, thinking that the clean, fresh, high altitude mountain air is free from pollutants.

In one of my installations, the HX needed cleaning every six months due to then gravel parking surrounding the building.

There's pollen everywhere. Even at high altitudes.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Options
    In past threads I've seen shop made filters used on the intake. Has any manufacturer ever put a filter on a boiler with a clogged filter indicator like they do on some FA furnaces to change the filter. A lot of equipment with engines have air filters with indicators that let you know to clean them. Obviously another added cost and something for someone to check.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Those filters don't go on the burner intake, they go on the furnace filtering system. On the return, to filter out dust particles out of a building. Its hard enough to get people to regularly change them. Let alone do it often enough to not destroy their equipment. Most people have no idea of the amount of atmospheric dust particles from Volcanos spewing for millions of years. And pollen grains. Found in ice cores in Greenland and Antarctica.

Then, be sure to keep your cat liter boxes next to your boilers so they can suck up animal dander into the intake and make them create more soot particles.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    I think HTP and Lochinvar have large air intake filters on some models. looks like a large truck filter. The Polaris tank style condensing heaters shipped with air intake filters also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • icesailor
    Options
    hot rod said:

I think HTP and Lochinvar have large air intake filters on some models. looks like a large truck filter. The Polaris tank style condensing heaters shipped with air intake filters also.

You should see the dirty furnace filters I see in the dumpsters. They make me think of the people in Costco on the motorized wheelchairs with 02 devices to help with their breathing. COPD is a very bad thing. Very bad for any heating system.