Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler problem

Options
rock1972
rock1972 Member Posts: 7
I have to hit the reset button on my boiler every couple of days. Usally at nite when i gets colder. It will run fine then. I had it cleaned and the thermostat replaced in the past week . All help is wanted. Thanks

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Which reset button? Steam or hot water boiler? Picture of boiler and reset button would be good.
    rock1972
  • rock1972
    Options
    I can't load a pic but it is a hot water boiler and it has only 1 rest button.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Is this oil or gas? Is the reset on the burner control system?
  • rock1972
    Options
    oil the reset is up on the side of the boiler it has the aqua stat in the same box
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Do you know if this shuts down on high limit...water/boiler overheating? Maybe lack of water flow. I'm don't see any oil in my area. There are many more here who know about your situation and will probably jump in. Is there any labeling on the reset switch that pops? Being located with the aquastat implies water temp issue IMHO. Pictures get a lot of eyes on the problem.
    rock1972
  • rock1972
    edited January 2015
    Options
    After i hit the reset it has been running fine I just do not know what can cause the reset to be tripped and i have never seen just on reset on a boiler it is an americanstandard a34m with an carlin burner.
  • rock1972
    Options
    I do not think it is over heating because it will call for heat on the second floor or for hot water and run fine .
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    How long has it been since it was serviced? Nozzle, filter, etc need to be changed at least yearly. Sometimes more often depending upon how much fuel is burned.

The reset button means there's been an ignition failure. You need to call an oil burner tech.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    rock1972
  • rock1972
    Options
    I just had it serviced. I have had a tech out here twice this week. Iwill call him in the morning thanks.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Do we have a description here about what should be done on the annual service for oil burners, so the homeowner can have an idea as to whether the service was correct or not?--NBC
    rock1972Zman
  • rock1972
    Options
    i watched the tech he changed the nozzle,oil filter and the filter on the burner,and cleaned the boiler. also changed the thermostat.
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    If it is burner lockout; then the spark ignitor to establish flame or the eye/sensor to prove flame could be at fault; assuming oil is flowing. Does this system have one retry on flame out before lockout requiring reset?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    This should be posted in the Oil heating section. It could be a dozen reasons why it is locking out. Pics and more boiler/burner info is needed. Was it locking out before the service?