Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaky valve? Help

124»

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Ok wasn't a perfect analogy, but I think my meaning is clear. ;)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    You are in much better shape than you were. Getting those two mains dropped down into the header and replacing the gas valve appears to put you in line with the manufacturers minimum reccomended install. A larger header would be great but let's see how much added cost Gerry might want to up that to a 4" header.
  • aboyd
    aboyd Member Posts: 31
    Also, not sure why I didn't think of this before-- but I have had no added water from the feed by changing 1 small thing. Adjusting my auto water feed delay!! So simple! My house was built in 1919 with three finished floors, of course it's going to take water longer than 2 minutes to return!!! I moved it to 8 minutes and the glass stays at half mass! :) talk to you guys on the 10th, and happy Thanksgiving!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,670
    I'm confused, I didn't think you had said the boiler kept ending up overfilled before?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    We'll be waiting for the 10th! hope you had a good Thanksgiving also.
  • KC_Jones
    I just noticed the date...it's the 10th. Will be anxious to hear how things went with the visit from Gerry!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Fred
    OK Aboyd, give us the low down! :)
  • aboyd
    aboyd Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2014
    Hello!! Sorry for the delay, holiday season is crazy for me at work! Gerry was fantastic, very knowledgable and helpful. Basically, nothing is salvageable from the 2nd attempt at the near-boiler piping. The header needs to be increased in size (which we knew) and it is currently pitched the wrong way, causing water and steam to travel down the hartford loop in the wet return ( which is actually working as a dry return to the height of the piping ). which is most likely the source of my fluctuating sight-glass and intermittent flooding of the boiler. SO! a new swing back header, a false water-line trap, the new #67 blowdown, and my thermostat may not be set for steam, causing the burns to short cycle.

Found out that i have a 2 pipe system ( was told I had a 1 pipe system ). Mouat piping with traps on each zone. Originally installed as coal burning "vapor" heat, no pressure with a constant slow burn. ( he even sent me an image of the original instructions for the heating system ). Gerry referred to the house as the " cadillac " of steam heat in NE Ohio of its time. Going to cost the same in labor as the initial installation to rectify. Hoping a letter from Gerry to my banks dispute department will assist me in the return of the funds from the Installation company.

Hopefully he will be repairing in the next month :)
  • Captain Who
    Captain Who Member Posts: 452
    Thanks for the update ! And here I thought the header WAS pitched the right way (although too small for sure) from the picture. Shows how you really have to be there or have the perfect angle in a photograph to tell these things. Good luck with the bank. If you keep persevering, I'm sure you'll be successful. Don't forget to put in a word with the BBB on that installer who first fights you, then admits he knows nothing about steam heating equipment.
    aboyd
  • Fred
    Aboyd, sorry about this news but I am glad you have Gerry there to resolve your problems. You will be happy with the system when it is rebuilt. I'm just sorry we couldn't get in front of this install instead on on the backend of it. Hopefully you can get some assistance from the bank or take legal action (if it comes to that) against the installer. That was too much money to just walk away from. Please keep us posted as the revised install progresses and afterwards. Best of luck
    aboyd
  • KC_Jones
    No matter what happens on the financial side your steam system will be in good hands going forward. Do your best to concentrate on the positive side of things. And please keep us posted...we want pictures of another one of Gerry's fantastic installs!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40