Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wife pushing for humidifier for baby. What should I do?

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
I really need help,

Our house is 150 years old, has lath and plaster walls, practically no insulation, original windows with storm windows and an unvented attic. I've had absolutely no water or mold issues in the attic but I also never run a humidifier for this reason. I have not done anything with the attic because I have not had time or money to insulate it and until I do that I'm not going to modify the venting.

So here is my issue.
How risky will it be to run a small humidifier in the baby's room if I keep the door closed and RH around 50%?

I've been 100% against adding any humidity into the house until we fix the attic but the baby is now sick and the wife is really pushing.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Docfletcher says... Seek advice from your healthcare professional. Your child will breath better with it. Listen to your wife as they have instinct for such things. If child gets worse will end up hospitalized in mist tent.

Your concerns about mold are over done.
    ChrisJ
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Congratulation on the baby. I would run the humidifier, I ran one when my children were babies. I doubt that a 150 year old house is so tight so the extra humidity won't leak out.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2014
    Options

Docfletcher says... Seek advice from your healthcare professional. Your child will breath better with it. Listen to your wife as they have instinct for such things. If child gets worse will end up hospitalized in mist tent.

The wife is pushing because the doctor recommended it.

However the doctor doesn't know what other serious health risks doing this could cause down the road in our house. The last thing anyone wants is an attic or walls full of mold. Of course I want to ensure my baby is safe and gets well as quick as possible but I don't want to jump out of the pan into the fire either.

This is why I'm asking for advice.

I'm thinking if I keep this isolated to just the baby's room and keep the RH around 50% everything should be ok but I want other opinions.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Dont worry about it. Humidity is good. if it rains for several days, those unconditioned spaces see a higher humidity than that.
    icesailor
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Mark N said:

Congratulation on the baby. I would run the humidifier, I ran one when my children were babies. I doubt that a 150 year old house is so tight so the extra humidity won't leak out.

Tight?
    It's a two story tent right now. :smile:

If that's the case would it be safe to run the 7 gallon a day whole house humidifier I have? I used to run it until we moved because of this concern. It has a humidistat of course. We would all be happier with 40-50% RH instead of 15-20% which we end up with in the winter.
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    I understand.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    SlamDunk said:

Dont worry about it. Humidity is good. if it rains for several days, those unconditioned spaces see a higher humidity than that.

True,

However when it rains the walls and underside of the roof are typically warm and not forming continuous condensation soaking the wood. I also run a dehumidifier 24\7 in the basement and crawlspaces during summer months.

The outside of the house is nothing more than clap board. No sheathing.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Chris I would run the one you already have. I wouldn't buy one of those misting type humidifiers. If the one you have has the humidistat built in you will have much better control over it. We had a misting type for a while and used it into the spring for the kids. It didn't have a humidistat in it so it just keeps pumping moisture into the air. Lets just say there were towels and some shouting involved. My vote is run it, you need a lot more moisture and a much tighter house to have mold problems. My parents run 2 one on each floor in a modern fairly tight house and have zero issues with mold. Your baby will thank you....silently.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Could very well be which is why I'm asking for advice. :smile:
    If I could safely use the whole house humidifier I already own that would really be awesome but I truly am concerned.

The non-vented attic has concerned be since day one even though everything has stayed dry every year.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Do you have windows in the attic? Is the attic floor insulated? I insulated my attic floor as soon as I moved in. I leave the attic windows cracked (screens installed) year round to allow for circulation. There are 5 small windows in my attic (100+ year old house).
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    Is it a walk up attic that you can stand and walk in? If so is it between the rafter that you would like insulated?
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Not sure if your comment was directed at me? To clarify I have a walk up attic (unfinished storage only) and I pulled the whole floor up insulated then replaced the floor.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    I was asking Chris. Sorry I was not clear.
    KC_Jones
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Your house is 150 years old without any major upgrades? If the house has survived this long I would not worry about running a humidifier. What is your summer RH?
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Is it a walk up attic that you can stand and walk in? If so is it between the rafter that you would like insulated?

Walk up attic with half floor.
    Yes, I'd prefer to insulate the rafters which is half of the reason we have held off. A lot of it is insulated under the flooring, but very little. Probably 3" if that of old insulation.

There are two windows, one on each end but I've left them alone for now as I figured I'd decide on venting when I decide on what and how I'm insulating.

In a perfect world where I have some money I'd spray foam the rafters and not vent the attic.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    RobG said:

Your house is 150 years old without any major upgrades? If the house has survived this long I would not worry about running a humidifier. What is your summer RH?

Major changes yes, but all of the major changes happened 80-100 years ago.

Summer RH is typically 40-50% with A/C running but under those conditions the walls and underside of the roof are not 0-20F either. Unless I'm viewing this completely wrong which is also possible.
  • Docfletcher
    Options
    I got this of the net...

If humidity is too low, you can suffer from dry noses, skin, and throats, as well as cracked fingertips, and you're more likely to catch a cold. Dryness can also damage wood and drywall, cause your wood floors to shrink, and even cause your piano to go out of tune. Static electricity is also increased as the humidity levels decreased. Low humidity is more common in colder climates because cold air is less able to hold water vapor.

• ChrisJ
    Options

I got this of the net...

If humidity is too low, you can suffer from dry noses, skin, and throats, as well as cracked fingertips, and you're more likely to catch a cold. Dryness can also damage wood and drywall, cause your wood floors to shrink, and even cause your piano to go out of tune. Static electricity is also increased as the humidity levels decreased. Low humidity is more common in colder climates because cold air is less able to hold water vapor.

I'm not going to lie...
    Aside from the pajamas this was me last year, though all of the carpet is now gone.

So yeah, some would say static was a problem.

youtu.be/DuAMNqMuL7U
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    My mistake,

It's actually a 14 gallon per day output whole house humidifier.

I asked the wife to pickup a new wick set for it so I can fire it up tonight.

I would like to thank everyone for responding and helping me make the right decision.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    There is no way, in a house that old, that you are going to get the humidity up to the point where it is a problem with a room humidifier.

To be doubly sure, simply check the windows in that room from time to time -- if they aren't dripping or misted up, you don't have a problem.

Go for it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ChrisJRobGJean-David BeyerZman
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2014
    Options

There is no way, in a house that old, that you are going to get the humidity up to the point where it is a problem with a room humidifier.

To be doubly sure, simply check the windows in that room from time to time -- if they aren't dripping or misted up, you don't have a problem.

Go for it.

Jamie,

I'll be picking up four new wicks for my 14 gallon a day whole house humidifier tonight. It sounds like as long as I keep it set to 50% or below I should be safe. I will have it in a main area where it should get distributed throughout the house fairly well and I'll make sure the attic door is kept closed.

Do you agree?

And how do you mark threads as "answered" on here?
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    I say run it. Before you know it the crib will be gone and the humidifier unplugged and the house will be exactly the same.
    KC_JonesChrisJ
  • KC_Jones
    Options

I say run it. Before you know it the crib will be gone and the humidifier unplugged and the house will be exactly the same.

You aren't kidding! They grow up so fast.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    That house has seen much higher RH than what you are talking about. Remember, it's from a time when A/C was opening the window and hope for a breeze. Bring the RH up nice and slow. Pick up a couple solar fans, like the ones they sell for boats, and keep the air in the attic moving.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    I never had any problems with a whole house humidifier on my 100yr old house and am going to hook it back up as soon as possible. It really helps the house feel warmer as well.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    In answer to the OP's question -- yes, I do agree. Carry on and enjoy!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Oh and ps -- I have no idea how to mark something as answered!
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I think only the OP can?! I have gotten several notifications that people accepted my answer before so I assumed it was up to the OP?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ok, humidifier clean with new wicks and up and running after being in storage since 2011. I took it completely apart so I could clean the fans which took a while.

Hopefully my dad won't see this because he'll complain that I still don't have the shoe molding done or the white on the stairs painted. I just sanded and refinished the stairs last month after pulling carpet off of them and we put down a new floor and I just haven't had time to finish.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Chris my parents have 2 of that exact humidifier, have had them for years and love them.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

Chris my parents have 2 of that exact humidifier, have had them for years and love them.

I used to be a big fan of Hunter humidifiers until it came time to try and clean them. Then it's a complete disaster and no matter what you do you can't get into every crevice. I bought this because my parents had the smaller single fan size which didn't use water bottles and it was super easy to maintain. I wanted the smaller one but couldn't find it so bought this one.

So far, it's very easy to keep near spotless which everyone knows is important with such a device. Only this time did I pull everything including the fans apart because it had been in the attic for so long.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Do you even know what the RH in the house is right now? You don't have a scorched air system. Heat flows to cold, dampness flows to dryness. Except in Florida where I'm told it is the opposite.

Go to Radio Shack or Amazon and buy a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer with two remote sensors. One outside and the other in the baby's room. It will show the temperature and humidity at all times. You will be surprised at how much humidity you have in the house.

Those roller evaporative pad humidifiers are real germ spreaders.

Whatever you do, be sure to get that humidifier going ASAP. Mother will not let go until it is running. No matter what you or anyone says, that thing will be required to save lives.

Myself, I always had a lot of house plants. Just watering them regularly put a lot of moisture into the air, and photosynthesis always kept the air fresh.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    My mother is a clean freak you could probably eat off the inside of hers anytime you wanted....so yeah they must be easy to clean. My dad likes the bottles says it makes it a breeze to fill. They used to have an ancient one from my grandparents that was actually somewhat similar, but had a tank. I lived with them then...total pain to fill.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2014
    Options
    icesailor, of course I know what the RH is, in multiple places outdoors as well as indoors.

Tonight it was 35% and dropping in the livingroom. Typically in the winter I see 15-25% and when it gets below 20% things get kinda crunchy. Not sure what a scortched air system has to do with it? I'm still heating the air 50-70+F above ambient and my house is a sieve.

As far as these units being germ spreaders that certainly can be true, but not when you maintain them properly. This is why being able to thoroughly clean it is very important and why I stopped using a Hunter humidifier. I also run water treatment in it just to be sure nothing grows.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    "Scorched Air" is Forced Warm Air.

I built 4 houses to live in starting in 1963. All as tight as was expected at the time. All had FHW heat with copper baseboard. In coastal Massachusetts. I never saw humidity levels like you are seeing. But with a drafty house, the wind goes right through it and takes any humidity with it. Just taking showers adds moistures to the air. FWA is hot and dry unless you put moisture into it. Your using stand alone humidifiers is a plus because I had a few customers that I added steam humidifiers to their WA systems because the houses weren't lived in but the heat was on, and the burners and fans didn't run enough to add enough moisture to make a difference.

There are far more germs in moist air than in dry air. I have a daughter who lives in South Boston and works in Cambridge. She won't ride the bus in the AM to work but will ride it home in the PM. She claims that there are a lot of sick people riding the bus in the AM who should have stayed home but try to go to work. By Noon, if they are too sick to work, they have gone home. Those that work outside in cold climates don't have any near the respiratory illnesses that those that work in warm, humid spaces. I really wasn't suggesting that you not get a humidifier. In fact, I said that whatever Mother wants, get a better one. But plants really do help.

Happy wives make happy homes.

ChrisJ
  • bigize
    bigize Member Posts: 1
    Options
    "Relative humidity levels below 25% are associated with increased discomfort and drying of the mucous membranes and skin, which can lead to chapping, itchy skin, brittle hair, colds, flu and pneumonia. Low relative humidity also increases static electricity, which causes discomfort and can hinder the operation of computers and paper processing equipment. High humidity levels can result in condensation within the building structure and on interior or exterior surfaces and the subsequent development of molds and fungi. In most American cities, ideal indoor relative humidity levels are 35% to 45% in the winter and 50% to 38% in the summer." However, a lot of people just don't worry about humidifiers in the winter because antibiotics are now free at most local grocery stores. Besides that you will need to maintain the unit. This is just my opinion, you should consult an expert.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Keeping the house at around 50% RH should not present any moisture issues
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    bigize said:

"Relative humidity levels below 25% are associated with increased discomfort and drying of the mucous membranes and skin, which can lead to chapping, itchy skin, brittle hair, colds, flu and pneumonia. Low relative humidity also increases static electricity, which causes discomfort and can hinder the operation of computers and paper processing equipment. High humidity levels can result in condensation within the building structure and on interior or exterior surfaces and the subsequent development of molds and fungi. In most American cities, ideal indoor relative humidity levels are 35% to 45% in the winter and 50% to 38% in the summer." However, a lot of people just don't worry about humidifiers in the winter because antibiotics are now free at most local grocery stores. Besides that you will need to maintain the unit. This is just my opinion, you should consult an expert.

Where do you live that you get free antibiotics? I'm movin there!
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    For what it's worth, i try very hard to keep the ark I care for at around 60 to 70 percent. My Steinways like that best. However, in the winter time? I'm lucky to be able to reach 50 -- in the two rooms which have the pianos, which also have big room humidifiers.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • ChrisJ
    Options

For what it's worth, i try very hard to keep the ark I care for at around 60 to 70 percent. My Steinways like that best. However, in the winter time? I'm lucky to be able to reach 50 -- in the two rooms which have the pianos, which also have big room humidifiers.

Do you have a link to some pictures of the house? I seem to recall seeing a few but I'd like to see more if possible.