Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Hammer in Rad of 2 pipe steam system

Options
BobbyC
BobbyC Member Posts: 96
Have some pretty loud water hammer coming from a radiator of a 2 pipe steam system. My old house had a one pipe system and I raised one end of the radiator to get a better pitch and they seem to work but not sure what a solution might be on a two pipe system. How do you know which pipe is feed and which is return. Both have shut off valves on them.

thanks

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Generally the pipes are a different size, the bigger one is the feed the smaller one the return. Post picture of one of your rads and that will help determine what you have.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • BobbyC
    Options
    Thanks KC. Will post pic ASAP.
  • BobbyC
    Options
    Here's a pic of the rad. thanks
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Nice looking Radiator. The pipe on the right should be the return (the vent also gives this away). So you would want a slight slope towards that side. I am assuming this is a 2 pipe air vent system since I don't see a trap and those appear to be standard valves. A pro may be able to comment better.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • BobbyC
    Options
    Thanks. no trap near rad. will try to raise the left side slightly.
  • BobbyC
    Options
    KC just checked out your pics of your boiler install. Impressive man!
  • KC_Jones
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you. Just a humble homeowner that owes a lot to this website.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,285
    Options
    And while you are at it, check the pitch of the runouts. Sometimes things settle, and the runouts can wind up pitched the wrong way -- they need to go towards the mains or risers.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    KC_JonesZman
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DanH actually talks about your system here: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/a-steam-heating-primer/
    Scroll down to two-pipe steam. You're the second person who has posted with that system recently.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • BobbyC
    Options
    Jamie Hall which ones would be the runouts?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,285
    Options
    The runouts to which I refer are all the pipes from the steam mains or the returns to the actual radiators themselves. Particularly in older houses, things settle and they may have not enough pitch, or they may have sags (if they are long and unsupported -- or even if they are supported!). Use a good level, and check the whole length...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobbyC
    Options
    Thanks Jamie.