Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Baseboard Heat Not Warming the house

Options
land7443
land7443 Member Posts: 2
I have a 954 sq. ft. house that we recently remodeled. I live in Colorado and it is mighty cold today. I just got the heat installed on Monday. I have a Navien NCB-210 Comb-boiler that is providing the hot water for this system. My water going through the Hot Water Baseboard is 160 degrees, but my thermostat won't move above 59 degrees and this system has been running since monday night. What do I need to do to get my house warmer without having to use space heaters?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    How do you know the water is 160˚F? If it's a gauge on the boiler, much of that water might not actually be leaving the boiler room.

Can you post a photo of the boiler along with nearby piping, valves, and pumps?
  • land7443
    land7443 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Well the boiler says supply temp and return temp. At one point I checked the return temp and it was 158. I am not at home currently, here are the pictures I was able to get sent to me. The pipes on the left are for the hot water baseboards which goes down to a taco recirculating pump and then to a honeywell zone valve I believe.
  • SWEI
    Options
    A supply of 160˚F with a return of 158˚F clearly indicates a piping and/or pumping issue. Who installed this masterpiece? Do you have a piping diagram? How about a heat loss calculation?
    RobGjonny88
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    You didn't pay someone to install that, did you?
  • Paul48
    Options
    I'd say, it had to be done by a drunken handiman, but I wouldn't want to be disrespectful of drunken handimen.
    RobG
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    LOL!!! at least they definitely used primer on the pvc vent pipe! I have no idea what is going on there.. I also like the yellow extension cord for the pump power. Classy!
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    There is only so many things it could be..........I think.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Yes. Many things.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I think the washing machine hookup is one of the more creative things there....just don't bump it too hard.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Gordy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Seriously you need to measure temps out at the baseboards. And were the base board footages sized to run lower water temps.

If you have a delta of two degrees there is some serious, piping, pumping issues. Are you sure the water is even leaving the boiler??
  • Paul48
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Gordy...Follow the supply and return down, to what resembles a by-pass. That's their P/S. Circs in series through the boiler.
    Gordy
  • TomS
    TomS Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Your problem could be a number of things. But assuming the circ pump, zone valves etc. are all working a common problem is an air lock especially on a new installation.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Your right Paul....don't open the window whilst in operation either.
  • Paul48
    Options
    LOL....You can't open it. It's a casement and hits the vent.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    So this is a DIY, right?
    I think your immediate problem is that you are air locked and you have not provided a means to purge the system.
    As noted above there are significant issues with the installation. Some present a serious safety concern. The venting by the window is one. The t&p valve location and restriction is another.
    I think you need some help making this safe for the occupants.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Randy-LeeBraman
    Randy-LeeBraman Member Posts: 46
    Options
    By the looks of that mess,the installer should step back,put the tools down and let someone who knows what they are doing come in and rip it out and fix it,wow what a nightmare!!
  • Paul48
    Options
    land7443.........Seriously, that installation is dangerous. You can't exhaust an appliance next to a window. The piping is completely wrong. The expansion tank will most likely rupture around the threads, positioned like that. Before that happens, it will probably pop and ping as the water expands into it.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    land7443 said:

Well the boiler says supply temp and return temp. At one point I checked the return temp and it was 158. I am not at home currently, here are the pictures I was able to get sent to me. The pipes on the left are for the hot water baseboards which goes down to a taco recirculating pump and then to a honeywell zone valve I believe.

Apart from all the issues that have been mentioned, the Navien MUST be piped in primary/secondary as the manual shows. The way it's piped now is not p/s and is causing flow to short circuit out of the boiler and right back in.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Sorry to see such a mess.I hope you know the installer and it was someone trying to help you out.Please tell me a heating company didnt do that.From what I see the only answer is to rip it all out.Navien sells a manifold that connects to the heating side and makes the install idiot proof,maybe look in to that.How is the boiler being fed and is there a backflow,i cant make it out.Call the guy back and get your money returned,that install is probably going to void all warranties on that unit.Act quick.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I am far from an expert, but does a house that size really need that size boiler? 100k for 954 sq ft? I guess if it gets cold enough and the insulation is that poor? Just something that popped into my mind when I read this.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Gordy
    Options
    No it should not but then a navien does not make that small of a unit.

Kind a like I got a cheap price for this car with a 455 motor when I would pay more for a 1.8 litre even though it's all I need mentality.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    They make at least one unit small in that series?! Of course given the "quality" of the install I doubt much thought was put into a heat loss calculations. Haven't heard anything more from the OP, I wonder what they are thinking? Hopefully they can get this squared away.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Gordy
    Options
    You probably could have used a 50 k boiler. Navien does not make one that small
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Was that permitted and inspected?
  • SWEI
    Options
    Just in case the OP is lurking: Despite the tone you may have read into some of the replies above, we really are here to help. If you're serious about getting this fixed (no matter who installed it) just let us know and we will help you work through it step by step. It will take a few bucks and a fair amount of time, but it can be fixed.
    RobG
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

I am far from an expert, but does a house that size really need that size boiler? 100k for 954 sq ft? I guess if it gets cold enough and the insulation is that poor? Just something that popped into my mind when I read this.

It's a combi boiler and you need a lot more btu's to heat domestic water instantaneously.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • wrxz24
    wrxz24 Member Posts: 301
    Options
    SWEI said:

Just in case the OP is lurking: Despite the tone you may have read into some of the replies above, we really are here to help. If you're serious about getting this fixed (no matter who installed it) just let us know and we will help you work through it step by step. It will take a few bucks and a fair amount of time, but it can be fixed.

As a homeowner who lurks here quite often, I was in a similar situation. Not nearly as bad as this but thanks to the real pros on here, they will help you. They will give you the straight skinny despite what your installer says. I am looking forward to seeing how all of this pans out.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Wow I only looked at the first post,and did not read the responses…Sorry to say, but that, sir, is a disgrace….I say, strip it down and redo it, by the book….Who ever installed it is completely,incompetent...
    KC_Jones
  • ProblemSolver
    ProblemSolver Member Posts: 190
    Options
    If only these - so called installers - knew how to read!!!
  • Gordy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    In reading the responses to this thread I find maybe we are a bit harsh myself included. While we are all geared in a way to be quick to criticize a less than stellar install we are here to help.

Sometimes comments are to put forth the severity of a particular situation.

I only say this because the OP has not returned to get advice, and who knows what is being done if anything. Probably due to humiliation as to what who ever installed this thought was an easy task.
    RobGCanucker
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Sorry,but i think the installer thought it was easy money,not an easy task…Yes I agree we are here to help, and thats a good thing…Me, i just feel if an install is that bad, I need to speak up...
  • Gordy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    j a said:

Sorry,but i think the installer thought it was easy money,not an easy task…Yes I agree we are here to help, and thats a good thing…Me, i just feel if an install is that bad, I need to speak up...

I guess what I'm trying to say is we should be more tactful about how we evaluate, or criticize that's all Ja.

We never initially know if the installation was done by a homeowner, friend, or a Pro sometimes. I believe this was a DIY since no follow up has happend yet. Maybe due to a little humility.

• Paul48
    Options
    You're right Gordy. I reallized it too late. We need to be tactful. It's kinda like having a new mother uncovering the babies face, and the damn thing is horrifyingly ugly. You really shouldn't scream out, or faint, no matter how hard it is.