Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any Drawbacks About adding Second Pressure Relief Valve and with Vaporstat

Options
nycpa
nycpa Member Posts: 108
Are there any drawbacks about adding a second pressure relief valve along with a vaporstat for a steam boiler? Would prefer redundant safety features in case the primary ones fail. Currently I have the regular pressuretrol and 15psi safety pop.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    No reason not to but for good redundancy use a different boiler taping so one clog can't disable both PRV's.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,602
    Options
    A vapourstat in addition to the pressuretrol is a fine idea. You can use the pressuretrol (set to say 3 psi) as a backup safety. And even better idea is a manual reset pressuretrol, but you'd have to buy that. (That's the setup I have -- vapourstat for actual control, a secondary pressuretrol set higher, and a manual reset pressuretrol set higher yet).

As to the second PRV. No reason not to add one, but be absolutely sure that the boiler tap it is on is big enough. Never use a small tap for a PRV. Otherwise you might just as well not have it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If you add the Vaporstat and keep your Pressuretrol on as the secondary (backup control) you will have redundancy at the safetrol control level. If the Vaporstat fails, the Pressuretrol will still manage the pressure. Make sure these controls are on seperate pigtails to eliminate the risk of a single pigtail getting clogged up and preventing either device from working. If you do that, I really doubt you will see any benefit from adding another PRV as those controls will never let the boiler get to the 15+PSI needed to trigger the PRV.
  • nycpa
    nycpa Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks for the Advice guys.