Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe covering

Options
Hollis
Hollis Member Posts: 105
Ok, I have heard you need to cover pipes with SOMETHING. I happen to have a lot of REFLECTIX. You know that aluminum bubble wrap stuff. Is that suitable for using as a pipe wrap? Not sure of the r value and they state something like "equivalent r value" trying to say that the radiant part the stuff comes into play as insulation and not part of the official way of determining such (as I understand the literature) Anyway it seems like good stuff for certain purposes, like placed behind radiators that are on outside walls,..but wondering if its enough for adequate pipe insulation?

P I have enough to double wrap all pipes.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    I'd be rather wary of it's temperature rating. I don't think it's meant for steam temperatures.

Not to mention that it really isn't as effective as an inch of fiberglass would be, even double wrapped.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcoppZman
  • Hollis
    Hollis Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Hummm good points, the plastic part of the bubble stuff probably not meant for that heat for very long, Thank you
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Aquatherm has a listed approval for Reflectix-style insulation. Works quite well on chilled water. I'm somewhat less impressed with the HW performance.