Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Volume of water per inch of height in gauge glass (Burnham)?

Options
BoBoBoB
BoBoBoB Member Posts: 17
I've got a Burnham Independence PIN-5. I don't have a counter/meter on the feed. Does anyone know how much water corresponds to an inch of height in the gauge glass?

In other words, if the water line drops 1" below NWL, how much water have I lost (in gallons)?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Drain

the boiler until the water drops an inch in the sight=glass, and see how much that is.Use a bucket.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,574
    Options
    And I might point out

that the free water surface area of the boiler -- almost any boiler -- is different at different elevations on the gauge glass -- so an inch of water at the top of the glass may be a very different amount of water than an inch at the bottom of the glass.

As Paul said, use a bucket.  Better yet, get a feeder with a water meter on it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BoBoBoB
    Options
    Bucket

Drain and measure--duh!

Thanks. I'll give it a shot sometime soon.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,296
    Options
    good water feeder

hydrolevel vxt water metered feeder is a great product they make them in 24 volts or 120 volts
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • BoBoBoB
    Options
    I'm cheap

I get that an auto water feeder is good insurance if you're away, but otherwise it's $200 plus installation, plus the worry that it fails. I'll put a couple calibrated marks on the glass and keep a log book instead of the time being.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,480
    Options
    thats what I do

When I had oil I would record the elapsed time meter every day and make a note if I added water (1-8-14  1/2" water ). The elapsed time meter allowed me to track my oil usage and it made up for the fact the gauge on the tank had been broken for a decade. When i called for an oil delivery I was never off by more than a couple of gallons on the amount of oil it would take to fill the tank.

Now with gas I still keep a log to track any observations about the system. Just make damn sure the LWCO works.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge