Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CSST bonding

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I just ran across a 10 year old homeowners association that hired a contractor to bond the csst piping in each unit. These are individually metered townhomes.

The contractor bonded the csst at the furnace, which is very close to the electrical panel rather than the meter, which would be a harder job.

I understand that this does not meet code and in the event of an incident, the manufacture would walk away.

What I do not know is specifically, why will this not protect the home?

Is part of the concern that a surge could come from the street?

Thanks in advance,

Carl
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    When you say panel

do you mean the main panel, or a subpanel?  Where is the main bonding jumper located?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Bonding

Carl,

As you realize, the main function of bonding is to divert a surge (lightning) away from equipment (CSST in this case) and towards the earth. The best approach is to bond the piping as close as possible to its entry into the structure and as directly as possible to the grounding electrode (rod).

By the electrician doing it in the manner in which you've described, he's actually inviting a surge to travel down the entire length of the CSST instead of diverting it away. It should be turned down by the inspector.

Mike Holt (mikeholt.com) can give you the best explanation on anything electrical.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • its mostly

Its mostly done by electrical code , over hyped fear caused by lighting strikes, the new csst have bonding cable in pipe and jumpers not needed... as per other forum for licensed plumbers only.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The layout

The electric meter is outside the garage. The ground rod is directly below the meter.

The main panel is 20 feet away inside the garage. The 6 gauge bond wire goes from the main panel about 20 feet to a furnace in the attic. The gas meter is about 60 away on the opposite side of the building. There are several appliances between the meter and the furnace.

About 6 months ago I was asked by a friend if the association should has the work done. I strongly recommended it be brought up to code. I am visiting them right now and noticed this.

I am trying to figure out how big a concern it is.

I am not convinced anything will protect CSST from a major electrical event. At the same time, if they paid to have this brought up to code, it should be.

Thanks for your input,

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Grounding vs. Bonding:

I'm not an electrician.

This issue became a big deal in Massachusetts a while back. They then let the issue rest with individual inspectors as how they would deal with it. The really sharp ones had no problem with the "Bonding" of the gas pipe which wasn't always done before. The duller inspectors wanted to see a specific fitting that was designed for the covered CSST tubing. Although they make ones for bonding pipe, they couldn't see the similarities of putting the bonding clamp on the adapter fitting and NOT on the insulated CSST. So they wouldn't allow it until Trac-Pipe came out with their black "Counter-Strike" CSST. The black covering has a high carbon content which makes it a conductor. But Trac-Pipe, unlike most of the other CSST tubing, doesn't have the covering go under the flare not to continue the continuity of the bonding. With Trac Pipe, there may be as many as four volutes cut back from the nut. So much for the black counterstrike. The point is that all the system should be "bonded" with the bonding system. It isn't considered as "Grounded" to the ground system.

If you had a true lightning suppression system, those guys would bond and ground everything metal. Like garage door tracks, outside faucets, the water supply system, and anything else that they felt had a POTENTIAL of carrying a flash to or from ground.

And after all that, a direct strike might toast your house. So sleep in peace. If it hits you and kills you, you won't know it.

CSST tubing is only .010" thick. For you motor heads out there, get out your valve tappet feeler gauges and look for the .010" gauge. HINT: It's on the smaller end.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Sounds like

http://phcc.files.cms-plus.com/PDFs/BondingCSSTUpdate.pdf

The electrician is using the nec code for bonding verses the csst requirements Carl.
This discussion has been closed.