Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone disagree

pooteo
pooteo Member Posts: 19
I've read as much literature as I could find on placement of the diaphragm expansion tank and I can't find anything that says I can not place it where I have it. But I also can not find anything that says I can place it that far away from the spirovent.

Does anyone know if this would be a problem?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Ok there

There's no set number for the distance between the tank and its connection to the system. You're pumping away, that's the main issue.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • pooteo
    edited October 2013
    Everything I read

What do you mean by "issue"? Everything I read says for it to be on the suction side of the pumps.

Also, another question I have is on the fresh water fill line coming into the boiler. What is supposed to be connected before it reaches the boiler? The flow check, check valve, and auto/Manuel fill?

Joe
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    edited October 2013
    Pumping Away

It is "pumping away" in the manner you have it. In other words, the point of no pressure change (PONPC) is up stream of the circ. The PONPC is where the expansion tank connects to the system. In other words, you got the main issue right.

Your fill line components are not correct, however. You don't use a flow check in the fill line, or a spring check either. You should have a back flow preventer before the fill valve.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Expansion

Bob is of course correct.

I like the expansion tank where it is because sediment will not fall out of the system and rest on the bladder.Be sure to support the pipe well and provide a means of isolation or it will be a bear to replace when it become waterlogged..

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pooteo
    edited October 2013
    New system

This is a complete new system, nothing is actually hooked up yet. I just placed everything according to how I was either told it should be or read it is how it should be. Plus I am converting from a forced hot air system to a radiator/radiant heating system so I have nothing to go by.

Can u tell me what I need to have attached to the fresh water line that is connected to the boiler?

This is how I have it hooked up as of tight now... Supply line- back flow preventer- fill valve to the boiler.

I have it connected to the half inch pipe coming down from the spirovent line that also connects to the expansion tank

Joe
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Backflow

Normally the backflow preventer has a vent to allow the pressure to escape if the domestic side depressurizes. I am honestly not sure about the code requirement, it is just what is normally done.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.