Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Job pics!

Options
adambuild
adambuild Member Posts: 414
Hi Wallies,

Just before and after pics of a dead Glowcore and leaking Delta indirect that we replaced with a TT 110 LP and a Smart40. They're in a vacation home so we also put in a new Honeywell WiFi thermostat for remote control and monitoring of temperature. We also had a relay installed on the alarm system that automatically activates the indirect when the alarm is disarmed and shuts it down when the alarm is armed. Please forgive the old Spirovent. The owner didn't want to pay for a new one!? Whatever.

Adam

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    picture

I couldn't get the second picture to enlarge.
  • adambuild
    Options
    ?

Hmm... It just opened for me...
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Same Here. Hey Dan.

Hopefully,

Dan will see this and get the tech guys to correct it. Some other recent post with multiple pics have had the same problem.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Good to see

Im not alone, last thing to happen are relief valve drops! Typically when I wait til the end they seem like the biggest chore in the world.

Nice looking job
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • adambuild
    Options
    !

Agreed! I also insulated the pipes after that pic. Cleaning up the boiler room is never fun, but the TT purring in the background makes it bearable!
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Options
    Nice work...

You are forgiven for the used spiro , but the 1156 and dirty copper bypass unforgivable and where is the backflow LOL, jk, I think I see the back flo :)

it looks really good, I am buying my first 2 Prestige units Monday, I have been a loyal GB installer for a long time, may be time to switch up, looks very nice, Im putting one in my home and one in a customers, If Im going to sell them Im I try to use them for a while, who knows maybe Ill never hang the Buderus back up at my house after I start using the TT's... I use smart tanks all the time, I bought over 30 last year, and they never let me down..

Anyway, looks like you do nice work and take pride in it, getting to be hard to find...
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    picture

When I click on the second picture it opens an enlarged picture of the first one.
  • Steam_Starter
    Steam_Starter Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Right click...

then select open in new tab or new window.

That will work...

JLG
    "Hey, it looks good on you though..."
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Question Concerning Exp Tank Placement

On the Solo 110 the boiler pump is on the supply so in essence you are pumping through the exp tank or point of no pressure change. Have you experience any issues?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    Options
    is not using primary/secondary

good practice for these boilers? what did u do about dead heading post purge when the zone valves close? triangle tube arn't pushed very hard by supply houses here, mostly munchkin,peerless,navein.
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Also Have to Turn Off

Freeze protection. Funny how the manual has bold black and white that pri/sec is recommended but everyone always preaches direct pipe. Minimum flow rate at high fire is ignored consistently as well.

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    edited February 2013
    Options
    yea i seen that

and it says if u want/need to deviate from the recomended install, u should call the manufacturer.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    primary/secondary or direct

They start out with primary/secondary since it makes proper circulator selection (and consequent minimum flow rate) simple.  Four pages later, one finds:

System Piping - Through Boiler

In new or retrofit applications in which primary/secondary arrangement is not utilized, the PRESTIGE Solo allows this flexibility due to a lower boiler pressure drop, see Graphs 2 through 7 on pages 91 through 93.

Figure 11, page 22 illustrates a multiple zone valve system with a single system/boiler circulator. A by-pass loop with a pressure differential valve must be installed on the system piping.

Figure 12, page 22 illustrates a single zone utilizing the boiler circulator as the system circulator.

Both topologies have their uses.
  • Mike Reavis_2
    Mike Reavis_2 Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Wow, look at the access for the original venting through the concrete!

Can you spell "Change-Order?"
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    My Question is Exp Tank Placement

Since in the PT110 the onboard circulator is on the supply pumping away from the hx would it not be the best to install the exp tank on the return at the boiler?

• SWEI
    Options
    no place else, really

head loss in the HX is low enough that they tolerate quite a bit of layout variation.
  • adambuild
    Options
    !

Just to address several of the comments: The job is only one baseboard zone and the indirect, the factory was consulted regarding no primary/secondary, no problem. The pic of the new install was taken before insulating the pipes, removing the old vent piping (there's a foot of snow on the roof) and installing the copper extensions on the T&P valves, also, no pressure or air issues given expansion tank location. There is a backflow preventer (bottom left)! For the record, this is the first time ever that I didn't do primary/secondary piping. I only did it because the homeowner didn't want to pay for it and the factory gave their blessing. If I hadn't "cut that corner" the homeowner would've preferred an atmospheric/cast iron boiler and conventional water heater. That would've pained me with the potential LP fuel consumption. Just my thoughts.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Factory?

So did the factory ask what your pressure drop was thru the system or did they just say it was OK with a baseboard system?
  • SWEI
    Options
    direct pumped/piped

The 110 requires 5 GPM at maximum fire.  The HX has two feet of head at that flow rate.  It will work pretty much anywhere you put it.
This discussion has been closed.