Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CSST Mass Code

CMadatMe
CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
Can someone in Mass verify this for me. I am being told that if CSST gas piping is installed in walls that it must be sleeved. Doesn't sound right. Now it can move in the case someone did screw or nail something into it. I could also have just built myself a bomb,

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    as per manufactures directions.

protect where it goes through the wood. It must be able to move out of the way. As always check your code book and go by it. Since we are required to keep it in our trucks it is always close at hand for inspections. That said I only use iron,
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Smart man...

In my humble opinion...

ME

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Charlie is

for sure a smart man Mark
  • CMadatMe
    I Know

About striker plates guys. What's with the having

to sleeve? I'm not blind to the proper installation of CSST, want

to know whether Mass code requires it to be sleeved?

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Sleeves:

If Massachusetts says you need to sleeve CSST in walls, it is new on me. Ask whomever said that to show you where in the code book it says that.

Bonding was a big issue but that has all been ironed out.
  • CMadatMe
    I Have

A salesman in one of our Mass stores telling me needs sleeve material because

It is Mass code. I'm in NY and have no clue to whether it it or not. Looking

For one of you Mass guys to send me something I can send him because I

don't buy it. Been selling CSST since it was born and never heard of it. I

understand striker plates but sleeving?

• icesailor
    edited January 2013
    CSST Mass. Code:

You need to contact the the manufacturer of the CSST and ask them.

Also, you are supposed to be able to call the Board in Boston for a code interpretation.

The Mass. Code on sleeving is found here, below. The only sleeving required is for CSST going through concrete walls andd CSST that is buried. The sleeve for undergroound must be watertight at both ends.

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/pl/regulations/rules-and-regs/248-cmr-500.html
  • Charlie from wmass
    the link Ice posted is best to confirm questions at

Chris I thought you were asking as an installer. If I had the back story I would have sent you to the board link first off the bat. The code is often not interpreted well from place to place, That's why we make sure to have it in writing and on our trucks so they can show me.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    the link Ice posted is best to confirm questions at

Chris I thought you were asking as an installer. If I had the back story I would have sent you to the board link first off the bat. The code is often not interpreted well from place to place, That's why we make sure to have it in writing and on our trucks so they can show me.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Outcome?

Chris,

What did the board say about CSST being sleeved?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • CMadatMe
    Didn't Get There

Today, late start this morning with the snow that came in last night and caught up in catching up today. I'll get to it tomorrow. I'm just going to call Omega Flex first.

• icesailor
    Sleeving:

The only sleeving requirement in the Massachusetts exceptions I see in that link is the ones that have always been there. If you run CSST through a concrete wall, you have to sleeve it. If you run it underground, you have to sleeve it. It also says that it must be watertight on either end.

CSST installation required installer training by the manufacturer in Massachusetts. We were all trained by the manufacturers and given cards. I have three. They gave us a installation manual. You needed special ouch plates there the tube went through shoes and plates. They had fan shaped ouch plates for nails being below a plate to deflect errant nails. I think that someone is misunderstanding the requirements.

I think that a requirement to sleeve in interior walls would be such a sea change, that it would have been ordered by The Board to include it in the CEU classes for that education cycle. In unit 2, 3 or 4, there was a big section on CSST with the PHCC courses. The Board sets the curriculum. They would have ordered it. They want every course in every cycle to be on the same page. I think we need more information based on rumor and speculation. The electrical bonding issue was a good example.

Just because someone thinks they are right, doesn't mean they are. Myself included.
This discussion has been closed.