Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 pipe direct return

JBol
JBol Member Posts: 3
My friend got himself in trouble ripping out his 2” cast boiler mains and replaced with ¾” copper supply/return mains. Now only first radiators get hot on each of two loops. I bled every radiator until I got water and the system runs quiet, convinced theres no air. Closed the balancing valve on the first rad, and second one got hot. Second rad has no balancing valve. Also his headers are bushed down to 3/4” before they bullhead to the two branches.

Here’s all the details I can think of…

Cast iron gas boiler at least 50 years old, 137000 btu input

Two pipe direct return ¾” mains

2 loops split front/back of house, 2 story house

5 radiators on front loop, 6 rads on back loop

no balancing valves upstairs, balancing valves on first floor radiators only

circulator on boiler return pumping away from exp tank

headers bushed down to ¾” before branches split on bullhead tees

lastly, system used to work with 2” mains! Too late to go back.

The fundamental problems I see are lack of balancing valves on a 2 pipe system, and undersized headers. The system could benefit from a boiler bypass as well, no?

Are monoflow tees ever applicable on a 2 pipe system? Any other advice?

Thanks for anyone who can help.

Jesse

Comments

• JBol
    bump

I am doing the above job this weekend. Was hoping for some answers so i can get the right parts and plan accordingly. In need of heating help! Thanks...
  • If the system worked well before

ripping out the 2" mains will tell you that whatever your friend did was wrong, no?

That 3/4" pipe will eventually ruin the boiler because there's not enough water flow to absorb all the heat being created in the heat exchanger.  Your boiler is probably complaining already.  In addition, 3/4" pipe will only be able to heat maybe a third of the radiators in the house.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,111
    Sounds almost

as though this may have been a gravity system at one time?  With the big mains?  It may be very difficult indeed to get it so that it's even remotely balanced without going to primary/secondary and zone valves or zoned pumping.  And more flow through the boiler...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JBol
    Btus

I would think he could get 80,000 btus out of two 3/4 loops. The boiler can probly only output 100,000 so it's not that far out right? My biggest concern is how will balancing valves affect the btus the loops can draw....
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Gravity Systems

You might benefit from Dan's article on gravity systems found under the "Systems" tab above:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/332/Gravity-Hot-Water-Heating/72/Gravity-Hot-Water-Heating-FAQ
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.