Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why is this here?

Options
Athana
Athana Member Posts: 104
Hi.

Some 40 years ago there was a cast iron radiator in a room which lady had removed to make room for a sofa..and what was put in its place was a 10ft long aprox Slant Fin.

The steam pipe undernieth was re routed to the left where with the similar or same Valve was connected

On the right is what I have questions about.

On the opposite end of the SlantFin is a thinner pipe connected for some reason? which has been tapped into steam pipes.And this valve(pictured) is connected on that thin line before it goes into original pipes again.Why was this done & what is this valve?

We have one pipe steam system.Thank You

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Valve.

That is a check valve. Could be in the return line of the steam baseboard. Do you have more pictures?
  • Athana
    Options
    ?

Ill have to take some..What does a check valve do in this install? Thanks
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Fin Tube Piping

Hi-  The item in the picture is a check valve (see attached drawing)  I guess the first question is: Does the Fin tube radiator function and provide heat?  Could you possibly take more pictures of the piping connecting the steam main to the radiator and of the return piping and how it connects to the system. Take the pictures from farther away so see can see where the piping goes. If we need more detail, we can zoom in.

- Rod

Edit: A check valve allows flow in only one direction.  Is there a vent located on the fin tube or connected piping? (Looks like a small can of tuna on its side or a large silver bullet pointing up)
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,267
    Options
    attempting parallel flow

Fin tube and other terminals are often designed for parallel flow so you hook up both sides even with a one pipe system and slope the terminal appropriately. Maybe the installer hoped that check valve will ensure flow goes in intended direction. Is the slant fin vented?
  • Athana
    Options
    Vented?

Its not a vent like the screw on Maid o mist/Gorton or Bulliet type which is on Cast Iron Radiators ,it is at the exiting end kind of built into the top of the exit valve with a screw on top.Kind of like the thing which lets air out of a Hot Water system.

The heat has been weak out of it (better since a #75 Hoffman vent was installed down in basement main line under it). ..

But Ive got a Cast Iron Radiator to replace the SlantFin.. assuming it will work better as original was removed for space reasons not because it didnt work well.

After talking to Gorton Im going to get a Gorton #2 to replace the Hoffman as Radiator in room next door (where there is a crawl space under it) hardly heats,kind of like SlantFin.

Also radiator in room above that one next door (over crawl space)does not heat up.
  • Athana
    Options
    Will this improve heat in following radiators at end of line?

Im going to put a #2 Gorton which is 4 times the venting of this Hoffman but if I change out the 2 Dole (on the Antler next to this main vent)as well with Gorton #1(?) vents..will this help get heat over to the radiator in next room(over crawl space) & room above that???
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    More Info Needed

Could you provide some pics or a diagram of the piping, particularly the sections you're referring to? Please include pipe sizes.

A basic principle for vent sizing is that the vent should be sized to the amount of steam that the pipe is supposed to flow. If you increase the size of vents on one main but don't increase them proportionately in the other mains, those latter mains (and their rads) won't heat as quickly and your system will be unbalanced.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Athana
    Options
    Why is this here?

Thanks.

The piping is under insullation but in adjoining crawl space it isn't.. I think its 2 1/2"(?) (Pictured)

The house all heats evenly except for this area (2 rooms..one on top of each other over crawl space) off this main mostly.
  • Athana
    Options
    Why is this here?

Thanks.

The piping is under insullation but in adjoining crawl space it isn't.. I think its 2 1/2"(?) (Pictured)

The house all heats evenly except for this area (2 rooms..one on top of each other over crawl space) off this main mostly.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Crawl Space

Hi -  I enhanced your crawl space  picture and added some labels.   The following are questions that came up.

Questions:

1. The pipe marked “Lateral “A” I’m assuming leads to one of more radiators? How many? Do these radiator(s) heat properly?

2. The pipe marked “B” I’m assuming is a steam main. If so it needs to have Main vents which should be located ideally at the position marked “C” or a “G” which is at the end of the pipe marked Return “F”   Are there any mains vents (or fittingds where there migh have once been a main vent at either “C” or at “G”?

3.Is “F” a Dry Return?

4. I blew up the picture but couldn’t determine if there was something (Fittings, (trap) located an “D”.  Is there something at “D” rather than normal pipe fittings?

5. Again I can’t tell when I zoom in, Is there something at “E” and if so what and where does it lead?

On the fin tube, like a regular steam radiator, there needs to be a way for the air to escape. The usual vent used for fin tube is a Hoffman # 41 which is installed on the exit piping.  To what piping does the exit piping from the fin tube join? 

I’ve also attached a piping size chart to help you determine pipe size.  Measure the circumference of the pipe and the chart will tell you the pipe size.

- Rod
  • Athana
    Options
    Wow..

Im going to have to get a spot light down there & take a good look to answer this..please excuse the delay.The guy at Gorton has convinced me to put a #2 Vent to replace the Hoffman #75(which helped some last year as old one was at least 40 years old and completely clogged). Plumbers removed Slant Fin & that valve I pictured originally and then capped pipes back to seemingly original position.....and put in this Cast Iron Radiator that I finally got on Ebay & had painted.I hope all this works ,Fingers..XXXX'ed
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Mains insulation

You should insulate all the steam mains and the radiator runouts to save fuel and insure optimal operation. It's more expensive but I would use 2" steam pipe insulation on the runs in the crawl space if you are having issues with heat in those areas. Do this after you have everything sorted out with proper mains venting.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.