Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

80's coming back to haunt.....

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
us.... I got a service call from a property management company to replace a leaking extrol tank... OK sounds simple enough....right. What I ran across was a system 25+ yrs old that has been piped in non barrier Polybuytylene and has has little to none attention as these 32 condos are all rentals. Some of the nastiest boiler water I have ever seen....

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    O2

How is the tubing otherwise? "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, How was the play..."

We see your O2 problem pretty often with various tubing types. The TT prestige with a stainless DHW sidearm and circulators is a common  and workable solution.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    edited September 2012
    Solution

To my knowledge, TT will not warranty their boiler(s) with a direct connection to non-barrier tubing. NTI will. Since their are so many systems using non-barrier tubing in Seattle, I've been most interested in seeing what machines would work without having to use a FPHX, and not void the new boiler warranty.
  • Zman
    As of...

As of 2 years ago Triangle Tube would warranty the boiler but not the smart tanks. The boiler is all stainless. They would not allow direct domestic water in the boiler.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,374
    get what you pay for

Somebody gets what somebody paid for. In the long run bladder or diaphragm tank is not a good idea. Sales reps will argue but will they take responsibility fifteen years later? ha ha

If the builder makes it possible the best is expansion tank at top of building. Ideally under vacuum, otherwise pressurized with nitrogen. If tank above high point is not feasible then nitrogen pressurization will still make everything survive much longer. In my experience these ideas are implemented very infrequently outside of industrial situations.
  • Zman
    Why not?

Why not just use an expansion tank designed for potable water.  You have to change the pressure,They cost a bit more but, problem solved.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    What I'd like to see...

Is the inside of that Circulator. I just pulled an iron circ.from a domestic recirculation loop. Holy Cow!

Happy Labor Day.
  • kcopp
    That may....

happen. I am going to HIGHLY recommend that they replace a number of components and start w/ a system flush and a heavy dose of Rhomar treatments. I will post pix when and if that happens...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
    do you have a sample

of that fluid. I'd like to run some through the new magnetic dirt separators to see what "sticks"

Let it settle out and see if a magnet grabs anything.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Paul Rohrs_14
    Paul Rohrs_14 Member Posts: 80
    edited September 2012
    Non-Barrier Tubing

The feelings of non-barrier tube installs with trade professionals are noted but I will be curious to see if anyone has the same feelings towards large-diameter non-barrier pipe being used as boiler piping on  low-temp installs; much like, and to include Aquatherm.

Best,

Paul
  • kcopp
    did not have anything....

as a sample bottle.... However there are 32 of these units. Plenty there to sample. I am hoping to get the contract to flush out the systems and add a schedule of Rhomar chemicals to them.
This discussion has been closed.