Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low Temp Baseboard Piping

pipe4zen
pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
Looking at Smith's "Heating Edge" brochure , they show a number of ways the btu output of the two 3/4" elements are effected by different piping configurations.

With the two supplies method the output is the greatest.

My question is , if I wanted to replace existing baseboard with Heating Edge, but only have single 3/4" feed, Can I use a tee to accomplish two supplies method with flow for top and lower elements the same direction into a tee'd return piping.

Boiler would be replaced also to mod/con.

<a href="http://www.smithsenvironmental.com/ES_HeatEdge4cBro_SM_4.pdf">http://www.smithsenvironmental.com/ES_HeatEdge4cBro_SM_4.pdf</a>

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Absolutely

Yes,

You can achieve higher outputs with tees. Be sure to equalize the tees by either equal headers or reverse return methods. Keep in mind you will not get to the full 4 gpm rating per pipe using your single 3/4" supply.

Another possible "side effect" is that by pulling the extra btus out of each register the water temp going to the next register (I am assuming you have a series piping arrangement) you will reduce the heat output to down stream units. I would evaluate this before jumping in.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    Piping

Sketch of what I would like to do.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    2 rads?

With only 2 rads the temp drop is probably not much of an issue. To do it correctly you should upsize the second rad to account for the lower temps. The piping you show will favor the upper pipe. I would put the tee centered between the 2 pipes and 90 into it. 
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    I

believe he would merely split the available btus and not get the desired increase using that approach. Increasing the supply to 1" would work?
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Mestek Just Announced

This new low temp baseboard product.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    i would do this

unless you want to fry them, 3/4 more than enough in my opinion.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I saw that Chris, but...

The outputs are only slightly better than regular high output baseboard. You can get 560/530 out of Petite 9 at 150 F. The Smith stuff is somewhat better, but still not enough to justify the cost in my opinion.

The problem is that it is still convection. In order to create convection, you have to produce a high enough Delta to cause the air to move.

Just one dude's opinion.
This discussion has been closed.