Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Geothermal Savings

Options
jeh17
jeh17 Member Posts: 1
Interested if anyone has had geothermal installed in a lived in home that has not changed anything with insulation.  What are the heat savings if any that you have seen?  Thank you.

Comments

• zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    Options
    geo savings

I replaced an electric boiler with a water to water heat pump supplying cast-iron rads in my dads place about 10 years ago and his bills went down approx 65% He just replaced his windows about a year ago and we put in a new heat pump. The old one was fine we just wanted to try out the new climatemaster THW, it does all his domestic hot water now too. I don't know what he's paying now exactly but he has told me it's pretty minimal. I'll see if I can find out and post back.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    COP

That sounds like a COP of about 3. In my market the cost per BTU of natural gas burned at 90% efficiency is about 1/3 of electricity. Kind of looks like a wash from the energy side of things.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Just remember...

when you are working out the savings -- or otherwise -- to also factor in both the long term maintenance costs on the equipment (old and new) and the depreciation (both initial installation and replacement) costs as well.  It isn't just the energy cost...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    Options
    COP

That would be correct, that was on his old R-22 unit, the new one is R-410A and running on an outdoor reset curve, I have clocked it at almost 5 during milder conditions when it's putting out below 90deg F. Here we are only paying $.08 KWH so depending on where you are it may not be the best choice. A good energy advisor could do an analysis for you comparing different systems.
This discussion has been closed.