Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mod Con common venting question...historical police!

RobertG
RobertG Member Posts: 2
Is it possible to combine multiple mod-con boilers vents together  NOT for cascading?  Looking to put boilers in a historic building, in some common mechanical rooms.  The venting has me stumped as far as how to pass the historical code police.  Yes we do want separate heat sources, hot water, and separate gas meters.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• historical police

what sort of heating had been in the building originally? was it changed at anytime? what will the building be used for?

what sort of chimneys are there?- -nbc
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Hysterical Districts:

I work in the town that was the first in the country to develop a Hysterical District. All others are based on ours. It has been painful to watch. There is usually absolutely no consistencies to decisions. The rules change with a change in commission membership. Decisions are based on arbitrary and capricious thoughts. One place that can and will trip them up. Public Safety. And they can not overrule a fire department. In most jurisdictions I have seen, as long as the appropriate codes are followed as far as vent locations are concerned, that is usually left alone. They can't make you do the impossible. They can make you paint a plastic intake and exhaust pipe but you can't paint a SS pipe. Flat black is an exception.

The issue of venting heating appliances has not been a problem where I work. They recognize that we have limited choices for vent locations. There are many towns that are trying to keep the historical character of their towns. You need to research what other towns are doing about this venting problem and be prepared when you have to deal with them. They can usually be negotiated with. If not, most towns are not willing to go to court because it is expensive and the issue of being arbitrary and capricious is a big hurdle to overcome. And the big boys downtown usually have a final say over spending the money to defend them. I'm not suggesting a legal battle. But find out what they want and be reasonable. It's always worked for me.

What town are you trying to deal with and what is the issue? 
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Is it possible to combine multiple mod-con boilers vents together

I am not a contractor, so I do not know the general answer. I do have a W-M Ultra 3 boiler and they are very specific: you cannot use a common vent for these. You can use a plenum for the air supply if you follow their directions very carefully.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    This is a Question for your Boiler Manufacturer

"Is it possible to combine multiple mod-con boilers vents together NOT for cascading?"
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • AlfredE
    AlfredE Member Posts: 17
    apartment-condo (maybe some day)

The old system was one steam boiler......it is gone as is the piping and rads.
  • AlfredE
    I understand......however

a brand has not been decided on yet.  Trying to pick some brains here to see if any one knows of a specific brand that combined venting may work with (as well as warranty and code approval).  I know the Wall isn't for advertising.........however.......OK you got me I'm lazy and trying to avoid calling every boiler mfg...........sorry.  
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Mod Con venting

How many boilers. I know Triangle Tube Prestige boilers can be vented vertical and fresh air can be brought in from a side wall. Check with them to see if you can common vent out the roof or if you would need to run separate vents out the roof. If the old chimney is big enough you might be able to get the separate vents out the roof. You can vent their boilers in 2", 3" or 4" PVC pipe. What about one large boiler and use BTU meeters for each apartment.
  • How about...

A single boiler with BTU meters for each tenant. 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    I agree with Bob...

I have seen HTP products that used a single combined vent (like 12" PVC) for numerous of their boilers,but it MUST be designed by the factory and is going to require check valves on each boilers exhaust to avoid recycling flue products back through the off boilers.

Check with the manufacturer(s) of your choice.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AlfredE
    okdoke

gents.....have to ck out a BTU meter......also HTP products?

The owner prefers separate boilers........just in case he can ever sell as condos he thinks it's a better selling pt......i give input but he's paying.  That being said we don't do it if it is not going to work, and work great.  I appreciate your advice and input help! 
  • AlfredE
    BTU Meter

Definitely going to ck into them.  Any suggestions on brand-model? 
  • New heating for old building

What are the dimensions of the building (footprint x floors)?

If it is tall, then the old steam was a better chice, because it had no weight to exert on the boiler due to the height of columns of water.

Where is your location?--nbc
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Comon venting

There are some manufacturers of commercial boilers that will allow common venting of Cat IV appliances. You have to contact the manufacturer in those cases. Otherwise, there is the possibilty of common venting if the apliance has both Cat IV and Cat II certification. We have done a large number of mod/con common venting by having the apliance sticker showing the Cat II certification. You do need someone that is familiar with Cat II venting to design the vent!
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    A while back I ran into this

with a Historical Society wanting top preserve the outside of the building so the local architect who works with them designed a decorative chase in which the vent terminations could be placed that matched the decor. My friend up in Canada D. Brain Baker once sent me some pictures of vents installed in Canada that fit right into the decor of the building. You can't even tell they are vents.
This discussion has been closed.