Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP!!! Seven zone hydronic conversion.

Options
dan_66
dan_66 Member Posts: 1
I have a 2 zone very simple fin tube perimeter system, with a Dunkirk boiler.  I want to upgrade to seven seperate  zones, with a thermostat in every room.  Will I have better results  keeping the existing fin tube, or upgrading to infloor?  My home is 2500 sq ft.  Pictures below.

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Need More Info

What model of Dunkirk boiler do you have? Some pics of the boiler and its near piping and controls would help a lot.

One issue that will probably arise is short cycling when only one or two zones are calling. Also, how feasible is it to install radiant?

Nice house.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Conversions:

It is MY experience that what you want to do (make 2 zones into seven) will cost far more than you ever will see in savings. And there will probably be absolutely no savings.

Unless the original system was inadvertently installed with a way to easily split the supply/system piping, it is an exercise in spending a lot of money for no real return.

Most (if not all) the people I have dealt with who want to do this, don't do it when they find out the cost. People I know who have done it have unfilled expectations.

Usually, when I see it done in renovations and new construction, a Mechanical Engineer/Designer specs it and the owner doesn't have a choice. It looks good on paper but doesn't fly in cost of installation or operation.

It's like stepping over a $10.00 bill to pick up a dime.

That said, the original install should have had more zones. I can see why you want to do it. To balance through design and install a building heat system like your is giving me a head ache just thinking about it.

MO.
  • rm72
    rm72 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    fin tube vs. radiant

I think a compromise would be good maybe 4 zones.  Radiant is a good option for this house. more radiation requires lower boiler temp therefore lower bill
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited January 2012
    Options
    7 zones

It is very easy to do. install danfoss valve on each zone, and bypass line of the zone with balancing valve (just in case you will need it). 
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Open floor plan

I really do not see the benifits with zoning an open floor plan. Its only 2500 sf.

Yes you can do it, but like ice says what are you really going to gain at the cost. figure 100 bucks per zone valve plus piping,controls and labor. Not to discuss pricing, but making a point of if its worth the money.

Gordy
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Individual Control

I this gennedy is right on. Put a thermostatic control valve on each radiator. If you system is in series you will have to use diversion tees or a similar product to maintain flows to the next heater. I believe callifee has a new product designed to integrate the new (to us) European low temp radiators to this kind of system. Ideally you would go low temp and put in a mod con. 
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.