Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I really need a Navien CH-240?

Options
2»

Comments

• njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    @psara where are you located? That's pretty darn cheap for a unit to be installed
    Ironman
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    gennady said:

Navien

I personally do not like navien products, but to be fair, all this sounds as an installation and design problem rather than navien problem.

I agree, it just appears to me that Navians are used by, the how should I say, not so skilled...maybe a step above the homeowner,type installer...trying to be nice....about it....wow a bit unusual for me, trying to be more cautious,as not to hurt the feelings of the moron, moonlighting, price cutting, bafoons out here
    RobG
  • njtommy
    Options
    Naviens newer stuff seems to be a lot better.

The lack of knowledge by the installer especially on these mod cons units really kills them. There's no fudge factor like you would have with a traditional CI boiler. You can't just throw them in and walk away.
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Had the worst experience troubleshooting on someone's 240 in commercial laundry a few years ago. Manual was obviously translated, and very poorly at that. Not only was the grammar horrific, but key features/information on dip switch positions was omitted/talked around. Tech support was rude and condescending. Unit had never been setup properly, and with support like that I'm not surprised. Onboard recirculation needed to shut down upon fixture draw, due to presence of mixing valve. Proper dip switch setting made this possible after much bother. Maybe they have cleaned up their act a bit since then.
    They have a good idea with their fuel gas suction feature when pipe is undersized. Too bad it still won't pass inspection on undersized pipe.
  • njtommy
    Options
    Hey let me tell you a story the the information is in the free manual they give out with every unit. Combustion numbers and inlet and outlet NG/LP numbers are right in side of it.
    Along with this pipe size, gpm flow, load have everything todo with the way the boiler cycles.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can see by your posts that you do not have a fluid understanding in hydronics. Your tankless was operating with domestic pressure driving flow. Quite different than being able to size circulators, and pipe sizes to provide proper flow rates in a closed system. If you were to go back to a tankless with same closed system set up you will find it will not work like it did before. City pressure can drive fluid through some pretty flow resistant piping configurations. No I do not condone open systems either so don't bash a closed system setup.

Flow rates through a boiler are critical.

These are not plug, and play units as one may think. There are reasons information is provided in the I/O manual. Setup of the gas train, combustion, and parameters is crucial to get the most out of any boiler.

As been said any time fossil fuel driven appliances are being worked on its not just buying a combustion analyzer, or manometer its knowing how to use it. How to interpret readings, and what they mean. Training, that's why that tech charges 150 an hour. Training is not free.
    IronmanRobG
  • njtommy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's on page 63-64

I will turn the screw as I see fits.to get proper readings.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I think this might be the most abusive post I have seen here!
    @DanHolohan
    Any chance we can get Mr. Trump here blocked?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    AbracadabraIronmanTinmanRobG
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Let him hang himself :)
    AbracadabraZman
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Zman said:

I think this might be the most abusive post I have seen here!
    @DanHolohan
    Any chance we can get Mr. Trump here blocked?

I've asked him if he thinks he can stop being so nasty with his posts. I explained that that is not our culture here. We'll see.
    Retired and loving it.
    Bob Bona_4GordyRobGZman
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I love it when people think its ok to run their mouths via the internet. In person, I usually just have to give them the look and it stops.
    Is what I just said inappropriate? Maybe, yes.
    Steve Minnich
    RobGGordy
  • DanHolohan
    Options

I love it when people think its ok to run their mouths via the internet. In person, I usually just have to give them the look and it stops.

Well, he'll either calm down and be an adult or he'll have the opportunity to visit other places.
    Retired and loving it.
    RobG
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

Well, he'll either calm down and be an adult or he'll have the opportunity to visit other places.
    I personally wouldn't hold my breathe for that one. I read through some of the other posts by this user and many of them are fairly abusive. Doesn't want to put in the effort to learn, feels the people here owe them answers. I made some effort to explain it on one of the threads, but I think it went on deaf ears. The pros on this site are phenomenal. If you are kind enough to answer my questions it's greatly appreciated, if you suggest I learn more I will...it only benefits me in the long run. It will sound rude, but if this user doesn't return the site will be better for it.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    RobGIronman
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I agree, KC. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

I personally wouldn't hold my breathe for that one. I read through some of the other posts by this user and many of them are fairly abusive. Doesn't want to put in the effort to learn, feels the people here owe them answers. I made some effort to explain it on one of the threads, but I think it went on deaf ears. The pros on this site are phenomenal. If you are kind enough to answer my questions it's greatly appreciated, if you suggest I learn more I will...it only benefits me in the long run. It will sound rude, but if this user doesn't return the site will be better for it.
    I just re-read an old post of his and I couldn't agree more. This is one of his responses.

"the purpose of a forum is to give DIRECT details to questions asked
    otherwise why are you here?

I could of very well just goggled, enrolled in a class etc... "

We all have to remember that the check we all get from Dan every month is not for naught. We are here to serve! :#
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    Wow.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I wonder if he's that arrogant in person.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    edited November 2015
    Options

I wonder if he's that arrogant in person.

I bet he's very quiet and shy.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    KC_Jones
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Maybe even a nice guy.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    with internet rage issues, perhaps?
    Steve Minnich
  • Quercus
    Quercus Member Posts: 61
    Options

with internet rage issues, perhaps?

CO detector poster boy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Sad part is that's the kind of person you want to try to help understand,comprehend, and walk away with some knowledge about his hydronics so it could last him decades..........then the vocabulary started. Maybe start with that first, and people skills.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yes, maturity goes a long way. Oh, well.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Well, he came back with a PM response. Lots of cursing and more insults to all of us, so he and his content are gone for good. Thanks, guys.
    Retired and loving it.
    KC_Jones