Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator vent: do I need it?

Options
rk
rk Member Posts: 4
I have steam heating system. The radiator in my room doesn't get heated unless I remove the vent completely. Replacing the vent with a new one didn't work. The new vent is adjustable so the issue is not about the opening of the vent. Would removing the vent completely create any problem in the future?

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    DON'T DO IT

MY MOTHER KNOWS SOMEONE THAT DID JUST THAT AND THE LADY'S NIECE SUFFOCATED TO DEATH. THE STEAM WILL DISPLACE THE AIR THAT IS IN THE ROOM. THERE IS ALSO A SERIOUS RISK OF BURNS.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Yes

As bn says, don't do it.  You can try a faster vent, perhaps.

There are many different vents available -- some much faster than others; some adjustable.

But don't take it off.  It's there for your safety, as well as to control the system.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • rk
    Options

Thanks for the warning!

Is there any other solution? The adjustable vent didn't work. Are there vents with bigger holes than adjustable vent.
  • rk
    Options

Jamie, I guess you answered my question. So there are bigger vents available than the adjustable vent. I just have to find it. May be Home Depot.

Thanks
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    vents

Which adjustable vent do you have? If its theheattimer varivent then you already have the fastest radiator vent out there. You might need more venting on your steam mains and possibly less venting on your other radiators. You can experiment by shutting the valves on some other radiators and seeing if you get more heat on the problematic radiator.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    what temperature is your room?

You indicate that your radiator does not get hot, but perhaps it is getting just  little bit of steam?  Also, is your room the same temp as the rest of the building?  Is it comfortable?  If the answers are yes, what is the problem?

Remember, in mild weather radiators rarely get hot, as the boiler usually runs a short period of time and and the radiators will only see a very small amount of steam.  As it gets colder outside and the demand for heat increases, the boiler will run longer each time and more of he radiator will warm up.  When it gets down to 0, you will probably see the entire radiator get hot and at the point the vent will close.

Adjust the vent according to room temperature and your heating needs, put it back in the radiator.  Observe your radiator as the winter season progresses.  It will get colder out and you will get to see your radiator heat up completely.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • rk
    Options
    "heat timer" varivalve

As you suggested, I replaced the vents with "heat timer" varivalve. The radiator now works great. Thank a lot for your help.
This discussion has been closed.