Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The I=B=R Book

Options
Do you know where I can buy this book? I received it in a seminar years ago and now want to give it to my apprentices for Christmas! Thanks, Joe
Boston Standard Plumbing, Heating & Cooling

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Don't Know

Where to find that but Modern Hydronic Heating 3 by John Siegenthaler which can be found here in Dans Store is fabulous. Takes you from what is hydronics to heat loss, types of boilers and everything else you can think of. I'm sure you will get the same feedback from all that regularly post here.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I=B=R

There were a couple of them - green and blue vinyl folders.  I've got them stashed in my basement somewhere.  At the time, they were one of the few sources of hydronic heating information in this country.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Good luck with that...

IBR was absorbed by GAMA a long time ago. Ithink it is now referred to as the Hydronics Institute division of GAMA. I tried going to thier web site to find the books to no avail...

The last time they actually held an IBR class was back in 04, I believe. You might be better off dropping it to Kinkos and have them make a copy of it and bind it for you.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
  • DanHolohan
    Options
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Sorry Dan...

I was under the impression he was looking for the "Old School" books :-)

In any case, your outlet is a wealth of knowledge and information, regardless of the person/organization writing it.

Does anyone know whats going on with the schools that IBR use to sponsor? Seems like a substantial loss in the world of education.

Thanks for all you do sir.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks, Mark.

We've sold so many copies of that book. Jim Goins did the graphics and it's a terrific primer. I think it's much better than what they produced in the old days.

I don't hear any talk of revising the school, but I'll keep listening.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Dan,

Is there just a limited supply or will the book continue to be available in the future?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Boston Standard_2
    Boston Standard_2 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the help!

I appreciate the help- thanks very much, Joe
    Boston Standard Plumbing, Heating & Cooling
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    IBR Books:

Dan,

I had multiple copies of the old IBR books. The H-22 heat loss guide with the gray cover and the yellow one that I think was #240 advanced guide. Then, there was an orange one that did radiant.

I foolishly loaned one copy of the H-22 Heat Loss Guide and the Yellow #240 one. I never got them back. The one I miss is the Yellow one that is now #250. It combines the orange and the yellow and leaves out a lot of good stuff that I always used. Any chance you know where I could get a yellow copy?

The H-22 heat loss guide new version is a PITA too. It's like ACCA and ASHRA blew up on it. I consider it (the old one) perfect for Wet Heads. Air Heads will never use it, so why bother.

Your thoughts?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I checked my shelves, but I don't have that one.

Maybe someone else will respond. Start a new thread with it as the subject and let's see. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    As far as I know, there's no limit to the supply.

Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Excellent!

That should make Chris happy.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    It pays to

wander off the Wall sometimes.That I-B-R manual is excellent, I use it in all my classes. Once they have that and some of Dan's books under their belts then get "Siggys" book as a final read.
This discussion has been closed.