Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressure test new system?

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
Once I'm finally done piping the new boiler in I'm wondering if I should pressure test it or not.

All pipes are really tight and I used Ward cast fittings.  Most fittings I used Megaloc dope alone.  Any questionable connections like into the old mains I used the Megaloc and blue monster tape.  I have king valves and a return valve so testing is possible.

I can setup to do a pressure test but its kind of a pain.  What should I do?  Take the time to setup and test it with air or just fillerup and light the fire?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    testing for leaks

can you just overfill the boiler up to the dry return, and leave it over night. thats how we did the test.--nbc
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    You could...

pressure test the near boiler piping, if you really wanted to -- but I like nbc's idea.

Do not pressure test the rest of the system -- neither traps nor vents play nicely with pressures much over 5 psi.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    ok

So I guess its safe to say the pros don't usually pressure test the block and near boiler piping?

I just want to try and follow what the pros do.  I figure I should be safe that way for the most part.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    The Block

We pressure test each boiler before we install it.  We cap the fittings and pressurize it. 

Over the years we've installed hundreds of Burnham boilers - they are our favorates.  Never found a leaker. 

We don't pressurize anything else, unless there is a hot water loop on a steam boiler.  We'll pressurize that too. 

Wet returns?  If they are under the ground we assume they leak. 
This discussion has been closed.