Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Certified Energy Manager

Options
Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
Does anyone posting here have this certification? If so what is required to be able to get the certification?

Comments

• Paul Rohrs_14
    Paul Rohrs_14 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    CEM

Here is the link to the site that shows the prerequesites and some of the recommended course materials.

[u][color=#800080]http://www.aeecenter.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3351[/color][/u]

I am currently studying for this but don't plan on taking the test until early 2012.  Never to old to keep learning and this is something that will benefit me down the road.  I think I will also take the 2-day intensive prior to the test.   (There is a 5-day intensive also available)

You will not be surprised to know Brad White has his CEM accredidation.

Best,

Paul
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Thanks Paul for

the information. No I am not surprised about Brad as he is one of the best I have run into concerning mechanical issues.

It looks like future requirements for any commercial systems going in will require someone involved with the mechanical side of things to have this certification. I am encouraging my grandson who is an architect to look into it.
  • PS_2
    PS_2 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Prep is Key

I have the CEM certification and I suggest your grandson do some research at the link provided. It can be a challenging test to those unfamiliar with the required content or an aversion to performing energy calculations. I would suggest taking the 3 or 5-day seminar leading up to the test as you go over everything on the test. You also have to meet certain minimum educational & work experience requirements before becoming eligible to be certified. The work pre-requisite may be difficult to acheive as it requires (IIRC) three years experience in energy-related work. 

Having experience with Building Information Modeling (BIM) is huge right now. As an architect - getting the USGBC's LEED Accredited Professional certification is also pretty much a requirement now. I have that certification as well, but the CEM is more applicable to my job (Energy Engineer).
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Thanks PS

I appreciate your input and insight. My grandson has a long way to go and a lot to learn so this will be one more thing to add to his agenda. He already owns and operates a Construction and Design company and is working on all his certifications and licensing as he learns the ropes. He is a licensed contractor and architect so to broaden his scope of what he can bid on he needs the CEM I am sure down the road.
This discussion has been closed.