Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit


mik35al Member Posts: 3
I have to re-set the collector hood cover (collector hood sits on top of the boiler sections assembly, connected to the draft hood, and collects hot temp. gases from combustible chamber)  after cleaning the boiler sections.

Where I can buy a high- temp gasket about 1" wide (appr. 5 l. f.)?

Is there other type of high-temp. sealer that can be used for this purpose (Boss

 376 red silicon  is only up to 500 F)?




  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,494
    What kind of Boiler is

    this? You can probably get what you are looking for from the local boiler supply company.

    You state you are a homeowner, I would not suggest you undertake what you are doing. Do you plan to conduct a combustion test upon completion of your cleaning?

    Fossil fuel burning appliances not correctly put back together can make Carbon Monoxide.
  • mik35al
    mik35al Member Posts: 3

    Dear Mr. McElwain,

    The boiler is Weil-McLain, residential, steam, nat. gas.

    The work IS done by the licensed HVAC contractor from the list approved by the boiler Manufacturer.

    According to the Manufacturer that gasket material should withstand 700 F.

    Unfortunately, "local boiler suppliers" keep in stock  stuff only up to 450 F and nobody wanted to order such a small amount (less than 5 l.f.)

    So, I decided to help the Contractor to find whether anybody has the leftovers.

    Thank you for the fast response.

  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,494
    Sorry but you did not include that in

    your first posting and I was only trying to prevent a homeowner from getting killed with a potentially dangerous area of repair on a boiler.

    Try this:

    Steve Stultz

    Weil McLain Technical Service Supervisor

    800-526-6636 Work

    [email protected]

    219-873-0740 FAX 

    500 Blaine St.

    Michigan City, IN 46360-2388
  • mik35al
    mik35al Member Posts: 3

    Thank you very much Mr. McElwain

  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Seal Material

    Kaowool good up to 2300 degrees. Available at SiD Harvey 1" X1/4" 300 foot roll Part # 633-90 Kaowool # 9501. A good contractor who services boilers should have it on the truck. You pretty much can't do a lot of boiler service work with out it. Some guys will use the fiberglass rope. I carry both on the truck.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Sealing Bonnet:

    If you are dealing with a Weil-McLain SGO boiler, I always use 3/8" Refractory rope on the bonnets and glue them down with Hi-Temp RTV. I slather the bonnet with Never-Seize in hopes that the rope doesn't stick to the bonnet. The rope may be 1/4". It's in the truck and I am not there. I use the same rope to replace the rope door gasket when I clean out the bottom. Mt supplie3r always has it on hand.  
This discussion has been closed.