Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

adding more heat to living room

nycpa
nycpa Member Posts: 108
I have a traditional stream heating system.  Works fine so far.  I wanted to add heating to my finished basement as well as more heat into my living room because the radiator present is more like a bedroom radiator than a larger living room radiator. In order to install a larger radiator, I would have to break the wall, remove studs and restud and sheet rock it since the radiator is built into the wall. I wanted to add a baseboard to the living room since its one consists of making two holes through my wall.  Do you guys think it would be a problem to have the living room baseboards and basement baseboard as one loop?  Also, would I be able to control the two as separate zones or will they be one zone as a whole?  How does the idea sound of getting more heat into the living room?  

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I would be inclined...

to run the basement as a hydronic loop off the boiler -- several ways to do that.  Assuming you have the capacity.  You could either run hydronic baseboard in the living room (but I'd make it a separate loop -- unless you are real lucky, you won't want the same amount of heat in the living room as the basement!) or put in a bigger steam radiator -- and there seems to me the decision would be largely how much hassle is which option.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    built into the wall?

is it a convector of some sort? or a cast iron rad that is recessed? do you have a picture? are there drapes or furniture restricting airflow? has it been vacuumed out recently? if it's a convector of sorts, it may not be putting out enough heat due to lack of convection and not necessarily be undersized. picture would help, so may shorter drapes. 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.