Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Frustration with Slant/Fin and Installer

Katie_G
Katie_G Member Posts: 2
Okay...so I bought my house about 3 years ago and thought that we wouldn't have to worry about the slant/fin hot water boiler as it wasn't that old.  The thing was installed new in 1998 and then in 2008 there was some water leakage which corroded the intire thing and it needed fixing.  All the components were replaced with about everything else....but the unit was not "new".  Well....3 years later and we are having the same problem and now it needs replacing.  It is also not venting correctly and we are getting carbon monoxide into our home.

My question is...

How much responsibilty should the installer have?  I would think (but I probably have no idea what I am talking about) that they may have replaced the bad parts but they never fixed the problem in the first place and now three years later the water has leaked enough to corrode out all the components again.

Anyone have any thoughts on this because we need the thing replaced asap as I live in MN and need heat in my home!  I'd rather not go with the same guy but he says we have a bit of a warranty and is offering to replace it at a bit of a discount but not a whole lot!  How much should I be responsible for?  Could this really have been something that could have been avoided?  It was the same installer who installed it the first time and fixed it the second.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    If he is willing

to do something to help you with your problem he is to be commended.

I would however if I were you get in touch with Slant-Fin and tell them your story to see if there is any help they can give you.

I would insist on a combustion test being done on the new install. I would also want a chimney inspection and also a check on return water temperature back to the boiler as you could be having thermal shock due to low return water temperatures. If that is the case a bypass can be installed to eliminate that problem. Thermal shock can damage the boiler sections and cause water leaks. Also make sure there are no chemicals stored near the heating and water heating equipment such as bleaches. paints, thinners etc. that also can damage the boiler..
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Katie can you post a few photos

so we can see the install. Slant fin is a stand up company they may be able to give you insight as to why the boiler is doing so poorly. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    Call Slant/Fin's technical service department

Please call Slant/Fin's technical service department immediately. If there is CO involved it should be addressed right away. Technical Services phone number is 800 873 4246,

Thank you, Keith Muhlmeister, Slant/Fin Corporation
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Discount?

What good is a discount if he continues to do the job wrong? You'll be paying alot more in the long run than if you paid more to have it done right - maybe even with your life! CO is a serious matter. Almost 600 people in the U.S. die from it every year. Don't take chances just to save a few $$$. Get a competent contractor.

From what you're describing, it sounds like there's a venting or combustion issue which the contractor should know about but apparently doesn't. It could also be a low return water temp as Tim has pointed out that wold cause condensing or thermal shock. None of this is the fault of the boiler. It's a design / installation / service problem. Slant/Fin is a good product and company. Please, get in contact with them as Keith requested.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.