Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

copper vs black

Options
Is it ok to use copper to relocate steam radiators? or should I only use black pipe

Comments

• Joe V_2
    Joe V_2 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    stick with black pipe.

It will be quieter and last longer with all the expanding and contracting it will do.
  • newsteamguy
    newsteamguy Member Posts: 2
    Options
    noise

will copper make more noise? why would that be?
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Properties of copper

Copper expands more than iron when heated. 
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Joe V_2
    Joe V_2 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    And

if it rubs on the penetration hole, you will hear it tick, tick, tick.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,345
    Options
    It may be more...

than tick tick tick.  It's surprising how loud expansion noises can be!

But the other problem with the expansion is the stress it places on the joints.  With black iron, all your joints are threaded and they can give a little as the pipe expands and contracts, without leaking.  With copper, they're going to be soldered -- and in time the stresses may result in the joint leaking (although I have to confess that there's one radiator in my building which was repiped in copper about 40 years ago, and hasn't leaked yet, so maybe that's not such a problem?).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SteamHeat
    SteamHeat Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Is It Okay For The Condensate Return...

Is copper okay for the condensate return line because the water in the return line has much less heat than the steam from which it condensed ?
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.