Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Problem

2»

Comments

• JIMBO_2
    JIMBO_2 Member Posts: 127
    Called a local professional, but . . .

Since I had to return to work in NY, I called a local heating professional.  The 1st one, and the closest, did not show when scheduled, nor did he call to explain.  2nd one promised to arrive between 1 pm and 5 pm, and my tenant is still waiting--no call either, that was yesterday.  The 3rd one spoke with me, so I could explain why the trans-x was removed.  I explained in detail what had happened and what I did.  They offer a "free estimate," on their web page, whether you use them or not.  Well, me not being there to arrange payment, the office wanted to arrange the work to be completed tomorrow,  I asked what needed to be done, replaced or fixed.  What exactly was the problem?  She told me to call in an hour and she would have the estimate and cost ready for me.  Before I could arrive home, the serviceman called me to advise me he replaced the transformer and jumped out the LWCO (permanently)--and the cost would be $440.  When I questioned the price, he explained the standard price for replacing a transformer is $319, and he had to jump out the LWCO so . . . . it'll be $440.  So that is where we are at.  I did not think elimanting the LWCO was allowed by code these days.  Unfortunately, they never even advised me of the price, problem or ask if I wanted the work done before doing it.  So that is the story.  
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    I do not know

what code on LWCO's is in NJ. If I were you I would check and find out. If code requires a LWCO then it should be replaced. I would also be looking to rearrange some of the piping and venting for better control of water issues.
  • JIMBO_2
    JIMBO_2 Member Posts: 127
    Thank you

Thanks, Tim.  I do appreciate your patience and subtle manner in pushing someone in the correct direction.  I agree with you on both counts.  Stubborn, true, but eager to learn am I.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Glad to

be of some help.
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    And they wonder why..

Equipment goes unmaintained for years, I had a similar experience with my hot water heater 20 years ago. I called four places and none called me back. Finally, I just put a new one in myself. My first plumbing repair 20 years ago and have never looked back. It's unfortunate. The good guys are all too busy.
This discussion has been closed.