Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensate neutralizers...

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
I had an inspection for a boiler job today... I installed a Embassy Onex 93% afue. it obviously condenses... I seeing here for may years make an acid neutralizer out of PVC TY's and limestone and run it down to the sewer... Inspector does not accept it on the basis I am not certified to "make " such a unit.... unless I have a 3rd party certification... Seems picayune to me... any thoughts?

Comments

• HDE_2
    HDE_2 Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Worked for me

Make up a neat little label with a part number, address and a brand name and they never can tell it's homemade anymore.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Actually it illegal for you

to dump unmetered water down a sewer. After UL decides it needs a piece of the action, your case will be the norm, then the money hungry sewer and water authorities will get on the band wagon and require a meter on the waste so your customer can be charged. If possible dump your waste outside in a rain conductor or a small pit in the yard and avoid the whole mess.
  • kcopp
    Options
    really... the plot

thickens... I am about ready to drill a hole in the basement floor and dump it there. I know for a fact that there is nothing but sand under the basement slab. I guess I can buy one of the units advertised here on the side of the post... Just seems strange about needing to be certified after a number of years  A LOT of well respected people on the wall  say to DIY w/ these units....:(
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Careful

If you go under the slab, the condensate will be perfectly happy to eat your slab from the bottom up.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    The one advertised on the sidebar

is not third party tested. They are no more qualified than you to put some calcite in a tube. 
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Why not spend

a couple of thousand dollars for third party testing and start our own company making neutralizers. Say I think Viessmann may have one for $300 just not sure if it has been third party tested.

Maybe all the boiler and furnace manufacturers have some responsibility here as to actually having the neutralizer a part of the package with approval a part of the package.
  • kcopp
    Options
    well hopefully...

my "non approved " condensate treatment would fix that issue.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Peerless

Peerless incorporates an second trap where you pour a tiny bag of lime stone into it... Me I make up a 4" tube where I can pour 20 # into it and then make sure the condensate filters up from the bottom... How much is enough and do we ever need to change the lime stone ???

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Peerless

Peerless incorporates an second trap where you pour a tiny bag of lime stone into it... Me I make up a 4" tube where I can pour 20 # into it and then make sure the condensate filters up from the bottom... How much is enough and do we ever need to change the lime stone ???

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Paul Rohrs_14
    Paul Rohrs_14 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    degrees of separation

Wow, hard to believe an inspector has the prowess to deadline something necessary like that.

There are (literally) only a few degrees of separation from being "hydronic-heated" to "hydroni-cheated".

Good on ya mate for doing what you know to be right.

Paul
This discussion has been closed.