Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OT rain ,flooding how bad

Options
clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,111
Well with all this rain northern bergen county is under a flood watch and i have seen the water rise in the ramapo river basin to a level last seen by me durning huricane floyd and mybe 20 years early, just wondering if there will be as many replacement and repair jobs will spring up from the flooding i know from floyd we where running out of boiler controls and parts this ould be good for bussiness.peace and good luck clammy PS the phone ain't ringing yet
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Some flooding here...

The Charles has seldom been this high, even though its water level is regulated by a dam by the Science museum. A measure of the amount of water flooding into the thing, I guess. Rains here have been steady but not incredibly strong. Yet, after three days+ of non-stop rain, the ground is saturated and the 9' of clay we sit in is no longer amused.

Thus, water forces itself up into a conduit box for the electrical supply and from there into our basement. As of this morning, we have a tidy condensate pump and dehumidifier down there to keep the peace retard any possibility of mold growth. The siphon I set up to drain the outdoor box works well, the inside of the box looks like a spring. My electrician and I will attack the problem when it's a bit drier, building a periscope before the house, only then dropping the power supply through the foundation.

Naturally, a better approach would have been to have all house penetrations for telco, electrical, etc. enter the home above grade, but I wasn't thinking well enough that day when we set up the concrete foundation shapes.... live and learn!
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Out West

Lots of rain here in the Bay Area; something we haven't seen in quite a few years.

This would have been normal 35 years ago. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    I thought...

I saw a chipmunk this morning paddling a canoe across the front lawn...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Gas & Oil equipment that gets flooded

should be replaced not repaired. Most insurance companies will not cover repairs only replacement.

GAMA (Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association)  and FEMA both state that equipment should be replaced. 
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Street Flooding

I haven't seen it this bad since October 1996 around here. Many roads in Waltham closed due to flooding, see the trash pumps keeping basements from going completely under... amazing to see manhole covers not only spurting water but starting to lift out of their seats (!!!). Good news is that all aquifers should be well on their way to be replenished, the bad news was that the commute was as miserable as the weather... but the basement is dry! (yay!)
  • TJ_5
    TJ_5 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    AGAIN RAIN

Here come the flood waters again and all the  repairs made last week or so will be underwater again.  Life and water goes on 
This discussion has been closed.