Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone Valve location question:

Options
Please forgive my ignorance, but I have a question regarding zone valves.

First, there seem to be several opinions on how to stop ghost/gravity flow when a zone isn't calling for heat. Some people belive a swing check should be installed on the return side of each zone, others say to create a thermal trap. It is my understanding that swing checks tend to chatter.

My question is this:

Can I install the zone valves on the RETURN side of a secondary loop and use a TACO 007 with integral flow check on the supply side? Why/Why not?

Thanks and sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Sure you can

but a soft seat spring check would also work, be less expensive, and would not require power to operate. Yes, swing checks, even on a vertical line, tend to be noise makers in hydronic systems.

Flow check, the weighted type, are another non electric option.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • I'd choose either method

Using IFC circs on the supply and zone valves on the return is overkill , in my opinion . We are new to using IFC circs so I'll reserve my opinion about them bypassing . But before them we used either regular Tacos with weighted flowchecks , or zone valves above the system circ on the supply . No check on the return , ever . Never had a problem with heat bypassing , except for crud getting stuck on the flowcheck . And that was one in thousands of zones installed .
  • paul sr
    paul sr Member Posts: 39
    Options

Just curious, why no flow check on the return? Paul sr.
  • Never needed one there

The weight in the flowvalve holds the hot water down on the supply side . It's also a flowcheck , stopping flow going in reverse . I've personally seen less than a handful of heat bypass problems , we changed the flowvalve on the supply and stopped the problem right there . I would guess you could get heat up from the return if some radiation is close and higher than the boiler , but I've not seen that happen yet .
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Primary secondary

piping adds some different flow dynamics than a basic pumped series piped boiler. Those generally work, without ghost interference :) with only one side protected.

In primary secondary there are a number of forces trying to rob BTUs from the primary loop. Often unbeknownst to the operator. I would highly recommend protecting both supply and returns on all secondaries piped from a primary loop.

In this link are some methods shown with pictured examples.

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,13972,00.html

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.