Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Concert Ever

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    frank

frank sinatra 1993 radio city music hall n.y.c. . frank's last concert. very well could have been his best shirly mc lain opened and was spectacular. i was there and will never forget it.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    Actually

it was THE GettyMart in Goshen, NY and he was wearing tiger striped spandex pants.

I never wore spandex. I was denim and leather. Make-up only during photo shoots.

I had a beer with Punky MANY years ago when Angel played a local spot. Funny guy.

Ahhhhhhh.......misspent youth!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    I was

only allowed to pick three.

Bird "spoke" in "Kinda Blue" anyhow. You just have to know how to listen (;-o)

• Couderay
    Couderay Member Posts: 314

Best concert I've been to: Steel wheels tour ROLLING STONES!
    Funest time at a concert : The GRATEFUL DEAD 3 days straight
    First concert at the ripe age of 12 : LEAD ZEPPLIN
    Most missed performer and at his last concert : STEVIE RAY VAUGN what an awesome act!
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    Rick Derringer

He once showed up at our bar after playing at the college and we drank Crown Royal with him for hours, he was bombed. Also we partied with Dio & Feinstein in LA at the Starwood. Man I never felt taller...

Mark, do you have a picture from the rockstar days?
  • John Barba_2
    John Barba_2 Member Posts: 92
    So many to choose from ...

Gotta go with the Kinks at the Lennox Music Inn in 1979 -- the poster in their Live Two For the Road album shows the audience from behind Ray Davies. I'm fairly certain I can find myself in the mob. At least I could find a blob of facial hair. I'm pretty sure that was me!

Springsteen at the Centrum was amazing. McCartney at Foxboro Stadium was an event. Buffett anywhere, anytime...

The Nighthawks at the Bayou in Georgetown and at Clendenin Gymnasium at American University were all time highlights.

For live albums -- hard to beat the Allman's at Filmore East or Zappa Live at the Roxy or CSNY 4-Way Street. Anyone remember Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert album?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Best concert I ever saw

that's easy- Bruce Springsteen! I was a fan before I saw one of his shows, but I was still amazed the first time I went to a Springsteen concert. Even the time I went to one of his non-E Street Band shows in the early '90s it was still a great show. I have never seen any other artist or band play for four hours (with intermission) or 3 to 3-1/2 hours straight, and still sound as powerful on their last encore as they did when they first took the stage- and I've seen a LOT of concerts in my long, decadent life.....

Best live recordings for me are Springsteen again, for the same reason. Live 1975-1985, Chimes of Freedom (which was an EP) if you can find it, MTV Plugged (with his early-'90s band) and Live in New York City which is also available as a DVD video, are all good. I think a live DVD of him with the Seeger Sessions band is coming out- it was shown on PBS and was yet another excellent performance.

I have a lot of records, some I like better than others, but my all-time favorite is Born to Run. Those songs just don't get old. We still "sweat it out on the streets of a runaway American dream", right?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    Paul F.

I got to see the Tubes close down the Paramount on Staten Island. I think it was 1983, maybe 84, but they were on the "suit" wearing tour. Lot O' fun that night!

They shortly thereafter disappeared. Too bad, I loved the stage and album music.(yet another favorite!) Chris
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    The Best

The Who at the Capital Theater in Passaic New Jersey!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Frenchie
    Frenchie Member Posts: 113
    concert

Pink Floyd at Camp Randall stadium (Wisconsin Badgers) in 1996. Best one I was at by a long shot.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,067

Best Live concert- Pink Floyd 1995 tor Vet Stadium Philly
    Best video concert- Clapton circa 1985 on MTV. Still don't understand why this wasn't released.
    Best live festival- Myrtle Beach Pavillion circa 1967-Tams, Drifters, Billy Scott and Ga. Prophets--all the old Beach Music bands. You could walk up and chat with anyone while other acts were playing. 10 y/o kid in heaven
    Best Single Performer- John Fogarty
    Best concert CD--Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder
    Best Christmas-TSO 1st album. Why are those other songs released? Better than Sarajevo
    Best Comedy- Cheech & Chong Big Bambu' with the 12" rolling paper. Ow maaan!
    Best Instrumental- The Ventures Walk, Don't Run
    Best Album name-Joe Walsh, The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get.
    Worst Album That Went Over Like a Pregnant Pole Vaulter--Chicago Live at Carnegie Hall. Band played great but the Kwality and engineering is worse than most garage band recordings.
    Best Boxed Set: Clapton Crossroads
  • Steve Gates_2
    Steve Gates_2 Member Posts: 7
    Strait

I service Charlie's winter place yet have never been to one of his(someday). I do have most if not all his C.D.s.

Last years George Strait was good, or was that the year before or the year before or...

Hoping this years Vegas (in two wks) show will be the best yet.

The hag was terrific couple years back.

My all time fave is my friend Donny Johnson(local)and i never have to pay. Course nobody ever does!
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    Big Swing Face

THATS THE ALBUM !!

O.K. forget Norwegian Wood but the rest is Swing at its best.

Scott

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    Saw Yes

About four times and AWAKEN does it for me, allthought Heart of The Sunrise and And You And I are old favorites.

My Cousin bought me Tales From Topographic Oceans for Christmas when I was ninteen .....

Scott

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Saw the Tales Tour

Cornell University. Yes performed the entire album. Brilliant musicianship. Chris Squire is a monster...
  • Singh_3
    Singh_3 Member Posts: 58
    U2

U2- The Joshua Tree, Madison Square Garden NYC 1987.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

Two of my favorites are Close To The Edge on the Yessongs album and the whole Relayer album. It's sort of out there and I don't think it was commercially successful, but I love the complexity. Still don't know what the words mean.

" Faster moment sped spent tales of change within the sound"

?
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Giving away my age...

Best Folkies: Phil Ochs, Dave Van Ronk, Pete Seeger, Poco

Best Commercial Folkies: Kingston Trio, Peter,Paul & Mary

Best Female Vocalists: Diana Krall,Judy Collins, Norah Jones, Linda Ronstadt

Best Vocal Group: Manhattan Transfer

Best Story Teller: Harry Chapin

Best Guitars: Paul Simon, Mark Knopfler, George Benson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Chuck Loeb

Best tropical fantasy: Jimmy Buffet, Micheal Franks

Best Piano: Bob James, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder

Best Rock: Moody Blues, Stones, Beatles

Best Composite Group: The Traveling Wilburys

Best Country Rock : Eagles, CSNY

Best male vocalist: Pavarotti, Sinatra, Ray Charles, George Benson.

Best Reggae: Bob Marley

Best Modern Swing: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Best Big Band/Golden Age: The Dorsey Bros, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman.

Now you all can see why I love my XM radio so much!!!
  • Paul Fredricks_3

Saw Big Bad Voodoo Daddy with my daughter last year. What a blast. If anyone gets a chance, do see them.

Add to country rock: The Byrds (among other sounds)

Add to best female vocal: Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders

Add Dylan to Folkies, just for the influence.
  • bernie_3
    bernie_3 Member Posts: 35
    best concert

Weekend of August 10, 1974 at the then Charlotte raceway. 100,000 tickets sold. At 9:30 on Saturday as I sat in the grandstand it appeared that a colony of ants was pouring over the back stretch of the track. That was the crowd of about an additional 200,000 that had crashed the gates. Lynnrd Skynnyrd, Charlie Daniels, CSNY,Marshall Tucker Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Dooby Bros. and many many more. That was a very "smoky" weekend. Great music.
  • Dave_4
    You Are All Wrong, Very Wrong

Lubefest 1983

Culture Club, Wham, Pet Shop Boys. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Elton John, Spandau Ballet, Haircut 100, Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, Falco, English Beat, Simple Minds, Chasity Bono Band. What a Part-T, wish you were there!!!!!!!!!!
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    I saw Robert Plant.............

.....who may have the best voice in rock, at the Spectrum years ago (remember "Tall, Cool One"?). The thing I remember most was going with my dad. We had a very turbulent relationship for the first 30+ years of my life and going to this concert with him was one of the highlights of the last few years before he passed. While it wasn't the greatest concert ever, it had meaning, for sure. That's a lot of the reason why I want to take my son to see his first show when he is old enough.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Pretty good list

I'll add a few

Motley Crue--- Kick start my heart and Dr Feelgood

Boston------Rock and roll band

Dire Straits----Money for nothin' and Sultans of Swing

Zeppelin-----Rock and roll, Stairway to Heaven

CCR---Fortunate Son

AC DC---Thunderstruck the guitar playing is insane
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    DO IT HB....

It's your duty!

My first concert I got to attend with my Dad was a Jimmy Buffet show in Mansfield Ma. There were 3 generations involved..My parents, my brother and sister and my niece. What a great time.

I'm glad that we all found an artist to bring us all together for 1 show.(it went into the next year too!) If it wasn't Jimmy, it would have been James Taylor. The last 2/3rds made that one.

Treat your son to something good and make it happen. I'm sure he'd want to see something other than a "rapper mouthing the words to a track", with no band in the backround. Live and real is far superior. Go for it. Chris

P.S. D Benham....I live in Ipswich and have every and all Fools albums and discs. Favorite...."It's Alive...Again!" I've seen them since I was 15. I was lucky enough to have a bouncer cousin and bartender uncle who worked at Lil Earls(Gloucester)back in the day. Memories....priceless! JCA
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    Pics from rockstar days

No. If I did, Dan would not allow them on this site.(Most of them anyway)

There was a video made of the last show I did but where it is now I have no idea. All I have left of those days, besides some foggy memories, is my leather jacket and denim vest. Even my chainsaw earing is gone.(Had a double-edged battle axe, mace and hand grenade as well)

I don't miss those days. I loved being on stage, that was the best. Better than any drug ever concocted. It was the crap AFTER the show that got you. I didn't much care for the recording studio either. I'd lay down my vocal tracks and be ready to leave. NOPE! Gotta' mix it all down. Try listening to your favorite song a thousand times. Not the whole thing at once mind you, just bits of it over and over and over again. Pretty soon you never want to hear that song again. I guarantee that the folks in Lynard Skynard HATED "Free Bird" even before it became their most requested song. They hated it.

About the only thing I miss from those days is my hair. Lost it somewhere between Little Rock Arkansas and Bucksnort Tennesee. (If ya' think I'm kiddin about Bucksnort...look it up)

I got to party with some of the bands that made it. Motley Crue, Loudness, Guns and Roses(The ORIGINAL line up), Lita, Rock Feinstein, Metallica, Twisted Sister, to name a few. All had one thing in common........you guess what it was.

My son knows that Dad was in a rock band. My wife told him. I give him guitar lessons now. He's 10 and I have him working on major scales currently. "Smoke on the Water" is one of his fav songs. He can play a dirty version of the chords, if you heard it you would know what he was playing. My daughter sings and dances. (Whose doesn't?!?!?!?)

My rocker days are over, as they should be. My father days are much better as I know you love being Dad as well. The most dedicated fans we'll ever have. I'll play to that audience any day.

BTW, Pete Townsend sucks.

Mark H

• Yo Darin

Whaddya steal my Ipod playlist ? Pink Floyd , Metallica , Alice in Chains , Soundgarden , Rage , Stabbing Westward ...... you been poking around my Itunes folder ?

Pink Floyd at Nassau Colisseum early 90s has to be hands down the best concert ever . They KNOW how to synch music and visuals to keep the audience in awe . And I love their music .

Metallica , same place late 90s . Not my favorite band but you have to appreciate a group that comes out for a 2nd encore and plays 3 more songs after 2/3 of the sold out show left , thinking it was all over .

Def Leppard and Queensryche , Byrne Arena NJ , mid 80s. Yep , hair bands . We were there for Queensryche only , but damn we were glad we stayed for Leppard . Great effects with the rotating stage and the best sound system we ever heard .

Guns n Roses , MSG early 90s . Love em and hate em band . Love the music , hate Axl with a passion . But their concert was freakin great .

Aslo saw Rush , Kiss , Tesla , Zebra ( who on L.I. hasn't ? ) , and more I can't or don't want to remember :)
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Simon & Garfunkle

Central Park.

Need I say more.

Perry
  • Dave_4
    The Who

At my high school in 1968, Woodstock 1

Lund
  • Darin Cook_6
    Darin Cook_6 Member Posts: 41
    Ron Jr

You also understand the secret of installing all the "metal" that we do. LISTEN to METAL music!!!!!!

TSGT Darin Cook
    Air Expeditionary Forces
    Iraq
  • Dave_4
    Mark, You Forgot

Neil Young, Punky Meadows and that guy from Slade...
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Mine

1. Concert: The Who, Wash. D.C., 1976
    2. Live CD: Little Feat, Waiting for Columbus; I was there when it was recorded.
    3. CD: Grand Funk Railroad, Survival
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Bobby,

We saw Maynard Ferguson at G.R. High School, then went over to Star Pizza.

Memorable to say the least(;-o)
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,245
    Two-man show

Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra at Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, circa 1981. Sammy was the greatest performer ever.
  • Paul Fredricks_3

Anyone in the Norwalk CT area tomorrow night should stop by Rowley's Tavern and check out my band, Way-Back Machine. We do all 60's music.

Here's our website: www.myspace.com/waybackband
  • Supply House Rick
    John R

When was that? At a Bob Hope USO Show during WWII...

Sorry, too easy

Rick
  • Dave_4
    Boy, you are way out in left field

What about Backstreet Boy's, Thompson Twins, Ricky Martin and the ultimate duo of " Milli-Vinilli "? MV rocks, so what if they did a little lip-sync'n.

uh-uh-o-o-o
  • Supply House Rick
    Relayer is Amazing!

Saw that tour. Patrick Moraz filling in for Wakeman put on a devastating display! That stuff must be very difficult to play...
  • Supply House Rick
    Oh silly silly dilly willy ol' me

I forgot the Indigo Girls, they are dreamy. I liked Milli but not Vanilli. "I'm in love with you girl, you're on my mind, you're the one I think about most every time" Thanks for nothing, now I can't stop dancing. Oh wait "you make me feel like dancing, gonna dance the night away"
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Named after Mr. Peabody's miraculous machine, no doubt...

Rocky & Bullwinkle were hilarious. If I was in the area, I would drop by Rowley's just to say hello. Maybe your band will be around when NAOHSM comes back to Hartford, and then we certainly can get some Wallies to see you. Play "Bad Moon Risin'" for all the Wallies tonight! Maybe some day I'll dust off the old 6 string and sit in for some swamp rock. Take care.
This discussion has been closed.