Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Concert Ever

Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
Marshall Tucker Band at the Orpheum in Boston. 1975 or 1976 I think. Balcony seats for this triple billing. Charlie Daniels said that they were to close down by order of the police at 1 AM but the bands took a vote and decided to keep playing anyway. "But we don't give a $*#*", said the Big Man.

Comments

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    What is the best EVER

1.Concert you attended? 2.Best Live recording? 3.Best CD?

1.Deep Purple 1975 "Come Taste The Band Tour" Rochester, NY

2.Allman Brothers, Live at The Fillmore

3.Zappa, Overnight Sensation

4. Most bizarre outfit on a lead singer-Anne Boleyn
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    I don't

remember dates and I make no apology for being so old that these are my favorites (or do I). They were all at the, now, DCU Center in Worcester.

3: Elton John-where I lost most of my hearing but can he sing.

2: Second row of a Neil Diamond concert. He is a master showman and performer.

1: The Chairman of the Board, Old Blue Eyes, Frank Sinatra who opened what is now the DCU Center. A true star but the thing I remember the most "Mr. Sinatra has left the building". LOL

Jack
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    best ever

This is where my generational difference becomes evident.

Ozzfest '97 @ the Metrodome, mostly because I never thought I would get to see the original Black Sabbath. (Though Bill Ward was apparently too out of shape to tour that year)

I'll add my worst, and it was not the band's fault.
    Crowbar, 2005 Lo-Fi Cafe, Salt Lake City. It was a small club, and the band fought with the sound system but never was able to get it to work properly. It is a bit of a hike from Montana to SLC so I was disappointed.

As far as albums, there are just too many to choose.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Best concert I've attended: Trans-Siberian Orchestra (I don't get to many concerts but have seen them three times.)

Best live recording: Heart, "Crazy on You"

Best live album: Neil Diamond, "Hot August Night"

Best album: Boston (spaceship on the cover)

Best compilation album: Maximum Overdrive soundtrack (all AC-DC)

Best of 2006: Nickelback, "Rockstar"

• Crowbar is still around? heh.

1. Medeski Martin and Wood, some Jazz festival in Cape cod.. never have I seen a crowd so in tune with a jam like that.

2. Tool, for the "Aenima" tour.. blew me away and cemented my life long fandom

3. Any Clutch show ever. so much fun!
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 359

I second the Trans Siberian Orchestra for best concert.

2) Best live album: Eric Clapton Unplugged

3) Best CD: Stevie Ray Vaughn: Texas Flood
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    That's easy

1. Bill Evans Trio at The Village Vanguard, NYC - around 1965

2. Cannonball Adderly. "Live at The Lighthouse"

3. Miles Davis. "Kinda Blue"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Some favorite songs:

AC-DC, "You Shook me All Night Long"

Billy Squier, "The Stroke"

Queen, "Fat Bottomed Girls"

Frankie Laine, "Mule Train"

Julie Andrews, "Do, a Deer"

Glenn Miller, "Moonlight Serenade"

Weather Girls, "It's Raining Men"

Vince Giuraldi, "Linus and Lucy" aka "Peanuts Theme"

Hank Williams Jr., "Kaw-Liga"

Andy Williams, "Somewhere My Love" aka "Lara's Theme"

Three Dog Knight, "Joy to the World"

Sweet, "Ballroom Blitz"

Eurythmics, "Sweet Dreams"

Strauss, "Blue Danube Waltz"

Kenny Loggins, "Footloose"
  • Darin Cook_6
    Darin Cook_6 Member Posts: 41
    C'Mon Rick

Tell us about when you saw " Men Without Hats".

you can dance if you want to --------------

TSGT Darin Cook
    Air Expeditionary Forces
    Iraq
  • Ruthe Jubinville_2
    Ruthe Jubinville_2 Member Posts: 674
    shows my age

1. best concert Mickey Gilley -Vegus --1986 or 87 ... 3. Best album -"Only Human" by Cindy Kallet, Ellen Epstein, Michael Cicone
  • ALH_4
    the other Crowbar

New Orleans 90's Crowbar, not Canada 70's Crowbar. Kirk Windstein is a musical genius imo.

I bet Tool is excellent live.
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Best

Best Concert-Supertramp-Breakfast in Canada Tour '78
    -ELO with Meatloaf as back-up

Best Albums-Supertramp-Crime of the Century, Even in the Quietest Moments
    -Queen-A Night at the Opera.

Great Topic
    Dobber

• I knew the one you were talking about ;) I hadn't heard much of them in the last ten years so I didn't know they were still around.

Tool was excellent live several times... this last tour, not so much, but for me it was mostly because it was an all-seated concert, and when I go see a band I really love, it makes me want to dance around. And it was cold and outdoors in Boston when we saw them, so Maynard's voice wasn't quite up to part. But wow, they still smoked a lot of great songs.. even a bad Tool concert is pretty damn good, really..
  • Lurkin' Murkin'
    Lurkin' Murkin' Member Posts: 136
    Tune in and turn out...

1. Santana - late 70's?

2. Jefferson Airplane - Bless it's Pointed Little Head

3. Led Zep - Physical Graffiti

or Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

• actually, I forgot, I saw Crowbar back in '93 in NYC, with Clutch, For Love Not Lisa, Fudgetunnel, and Fear Factory. I'm not a Fear Factory fan, but they were pretty damn good live, and I enjoyed Crowbar too... but I was there to see Clutch of course. My first Clutch show ever, in fact. What a great night for a young man loose in NYC that was....
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Member Posts: 115

Best concert: RUSH Test for echo tour at the meadowlands
    Live record : Led Zeppelin "How the West Was Won" The Who Live at Leeds good stuff too.
    Best CD Rush: Moving Pictures One of the most under rated bands Steely Dan albums are good too they can make any crap stereo sound good.
  • Rick Kelly
    Rick Kelly Member Posts: 40
    Best Concert

In 1969 when I was 16 years old and working, I spent a bunch of my money seeing shows at the Fillmore East.

Best show I saw there was about two weeks before Woodstock. Kind of a warm-up show.

Mountain opened the show followed by the first NY appearance of Santana. Next was Joe Cocker & the Greaseband. Capping off the night was Led Zepplin.

Everything played that night became the rock classics that will be listened to years from now. It was the best of the best.
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Rush 2112

Mind you that was almost 2/3rds of my life ago...

The Foo Fighters Acoustic concert in Toronto last year was amazing!
  • Darin Cook_6
    Darin Cook_6 Member Posts: 41
    Some Real Answers

First of all let me tell you in the place where I am at music is a sanity saver. I bought a ipod nano 1GB to bring over here. Useless trinket. Almost all of my time is spent listening to it, either in the gym, at the computer, or plugged into the truck stereo. Does not hold nearly enough music. I am getting the 30 GB next. Almost everything has an auxilliary jack on it now to plug a mp3 player into it ( plus cool Bose ipod dock) , so it will be well utilized when I get back home. Anyway on to the music:

First Live Concert attended: Kansas- Corn & Blood tour (I think), Saratoga Performing Arts Center NY 1980

Must Listen to album when enebriated: Pink Floyd - The Wall

Best Head Banging Concert: Metallica/Godsmack - Pepsi Arena 2004 - played all the early music

Excellent Live Show - Celtic rock - " Enter The Haggis" Anytime is good but better with a few pints of the Harp in you laddie. Coming to Revolution Hall in Troy, NY in March.

Don't fall asleep listening to this music, especially drinking, - Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock and Roll (bad dreams)

Fall asleep to the music of this group of beauties: "Celtic Woman" - it is the music of angels

Most played song at high school parties in 84, 85: Ronnie James Dio - " Rainbow in the Dark"

Artist I wish I had a nickel for everytime we made fun of him: " Boxcar Willie"

Song someone will take a beating for if I ever hear it again: " B-52's", Loveshack

Absolute Best headphone album: "Pink Floyd" - Dark side of the moon.

Best Christmas concert is without a doubt - Trans Siberian
    Orchestra

Best country artists concert I attended: " Garth Brooks " Thunder Road

Most listened to album in Iraq (for me): " Alice in Chains" - Unplugged

Song I am listening to exactly this moment: "Soundgarden" - The day I tried to live

Top Six most listened to group/song on my ipod:

"Audioslave" - Show me how to live

"Collective Soul" - Brings me down

" Deftones" - Change

" Rage Against The Machine" - Killing in the name of

"Seven Mary Three" - Cumbersome

" Stabbing Westward" - What do I have to do

Favorite band of all time" - - - " Rush" - They have SO many great albums.

Loudest Concert attended " Scorpions" - Front row, Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY- 1990

Most flaky wacked out smoked out hippies ever seen at a concert: " The Fixx" - Bowdoin College, Maine 1987

Most talked about band I never saw/heard : "Ann Bolin" !!!!!!! But I have gotten the lead singers autograph thousands of times!!

Music with a doubt plays a huge roll in our lives.

Allright enough useless knowledge. Why did I come up with all this, I don't know. I am just glad we are not getting rocketed or shelled tonight and wishing I had a cold beer!!!!!!! Soon Enough!!!!

TSGT Darin Cook
    Air Expeditionary Forces
    Iraq
  • ALH_4
    clutch

I have been a Crowbar fan for a while, but with Kirk's involvement with Down and other bands, there was quite a wait for the latest album in '05. I am not familiar with Clutch. Maybe I should be. I can't remember seeing Fear Factory, but I know I was there...
  • Ragu_5
    Ragu_5 Member Posts: 315
    My Best Concert Ever....

Without a doubt, Bette Middler in Providence in 1971.

Second best: Bonnie Raitt introducing Little Feat at Loew's Orpheum on Washington St. in Boston, with The Paul Butterfield Blues Band as the headliner in 1971.

Third best was not a concert, but it was at Rile's on Mass. Ave. in Cambridge,1971. House band was J. Geils for free.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    O.K.

I've seen :

Clapton, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Santana, Yes, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, B.B. King and a number of others .... BUT

I still say the best concert ever was Buddy Rich at the Marblehead High School about "79". He had a fifteen piece brass band, an upright bass player, grand piano and The Man Himself beating the skins. I LOVED IT !!

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ragu_5
    Ragu_5 Member Posts: 315
    Ahh, Scott...

Buddy Rich was a GREAT drummer, and married Ella Fitzgerald many years ago. Good for You!

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Huh?

Buddy and Ella were never an item.

Ella married bassist Ray Brown, not Buddy Rich.

Buddy married Slingerland and Mrs. Rich. One daughter, Cathy. Best friend? Mel Torme.

Perhaps you are thinking of Louis Belson and Pearl Bailey?
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Demanufacture.......

is their best, methinks. Just listened to it yesterday on the drive back. I saw Killswitch Engage and Hatebreed in December in this little club here in the Valley. Great being so close to the stage. The show I will remember forever is Ozzfest 2005 with it being the last time the original Sabbath would be together. Ozzy has a new disc coming this year with Zac by his side once again. Hopefully worth the wait. I saw KISS in '74 or '75 ( too much haze to look back through)when Seger was their opening act. Lot's of miles, concerts and fog since then!

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Supply House Rick
    Hey Brad

Saw a leg of that tour in Syracuse, MTB stole the show that night. MTB are easily 10 ten for me.Get "Stompin' Room Only" early live stuff, ask John Barba how good that cd is...
  • Supply House Rick
    Darin, You were in the band with me

You were the tall one and I was the very short on.

C'mon everybody sing !

*Ah we can go when we want to the night is young and so am i
    And we can dress real neat from our hats to our feet
    And surprise em with the victory cry*
  • Xc8p2dC_2
    Xc8p2dC_2 Member Posts: 150
    TOO, TOO MANY

Blue Oyster Cult in the late 70's, when lazers first came into the areana's.. many people got blinded, then were ordered to not shine directly at concert goers>>> GO GO Godzilla

Followed by 7 Rush concerts and J Geils Band recorded live at Leroy concert theater in pawtucket>>> Wooba Gooba

and over 30 others I can't remeber LOL
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,554
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    Best concert?

"I don't know, I was really drunk at the time."

Hmmmm.......

Had to be Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" tour. Saw them twice on that tour. First time Joan Jett opened and she got booed off the stage. Second time Bad Company opened. They got to do their entire set.

Marillion was awesome, "Clutching at Straws" tour.

Rush puts on a GREAT show.

TSO of course!

KISS rocked!

Metallica screamed!

Judas Priest!

Emerson, Lake and Palmer!!

I saw Black Sabbath BEFORE Ozzy left. All I remember of that show was the lasers.

Rainbow, Blue Oyster Cult, Saxon, Qiuet Riot, Raven, Twisted Sister, The Rods, Lita Ford, Queensryche, Wrathchild America, Riot, W.A.S.P, Slade, Mamma's Boize, UFO, Cheap Trick...........so many.

Worst concert was Billy Joel(my wife MADE me go). He writes good songs, but I was BORED TO DEATH at his concert. I actually fell asleep.

Concert I most regret missing......Pink Floyd "The Wall". My parents would not let me go even though a buddy had an extra ticket for me.

Enter the Haggis, as Darin said, is a GREAT time! Any Celtic/rock band is fun when you're half in the glass.

I still say "Supper's Ready" by Genesis is one of the GREATEST songs EVER written.

Mark "the Grinch" H

• Supply House Rick
    mSAR

> "I don't know, I was really drunk at the

> time."

>

> Hmmmm.......

>

> Had to be Deep Purple

> "Perfect Strangers" tour. Saw them twice on that

> tour. First time Joan Jett opened and she got

> booed off the stage. Second time Bad Company

> opened. They got to do their entire

> set.

>

> Marillion was awesome, "Clutching at

> Straws" tour.

>

> Rush puts on a GREAT

> show.

>

> TSO of course!

>

> KISS

> rocked!

>

> Metallica screamed!

>

> Judas

> Priest!

>

> Emerson, Lake and Palmer!!

>

> I saw

> Black Sabbath BEFORE Ozzy left. All I remember of

> that show was the lasers.

>

> Rainbow, Blue Oyster

> Cult, Saxon, Qiuet Riot, Raven, Twisted Sister,

> The Rods, Lita Ford, Queensryche, Wrathchild

> America, Riot, W.A.S.P, Slade, Mamma's Boize,

> UFO, Cheap Trick...........so many.

>

> Worst

> concert was Billy Joel(my wife MADE me go). He

> writes good songs, but I was BORED TO DEATH at

> his concert. I actually fell asleep.

>

> Concert I

> most regret missing......Pink Floyd "The Wall".

> My parents would not let me go even though a

> buddy had an extra ticket for me.

>

> Enter the

> Haggis, as Darin said, is a GREAT time! Any

> Celtic/rock band is fun when you're half in the

> glass.

>

> I still say "Supper's Ready" by Genesis

> is one of the GREATEST songs EVER

> written.

>

> Mark "the Grinch" H

>

>

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 238&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

• Supply House Rick
    Mark, Don't Forget

Anne Boleyn at the Hess Station on Central Avenue-1986
    I think the lead singer wore make-up and we ain't talking KISS... 2112 rocks

Sincerely,

Punky Meadows, guitarist of Angel
  • Supply House Rick
    Speaking of Buddy

Got picked up his "Big Swing Face" CD too amazing for words!
    Look at his battle with Ed Shaughnessy from the Tonight Show Band on drummersworld. Unmatched by even the Professor. Ian Paice is also one of my favorites...
  • Cunner_2
    Cunner_2 Member Posts: 47
    Categories

Greatest live club bands are the " Stompers " or a close second are " The Fools " anyone in MA must have seen these guys in a club somewhere around Boston or the Cape. They both had CD's out but were a whole different world live in concert.

Greatest Concert was Aerosmith with GNR opening for them at Saratoga 1988, only time I ever saw the opening band upstage the main show and Aerosmith is certainly no slouch. Axle Rose was interviewed years later and said that was the only time that he ever felt the fans were going to overtake the stage.

Greatest Live Recording - George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers Live

Greatest CD - AC/DC Back in Black , It just never gets old

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    What a long strange trip INDEED!

Favorite, not quite the best...but the most memorable would go to Santana/Al Demiola at the Cape Cod Collasium circa 1979. No one knew who Al was, and as they strolled in at the end of his bands performance, looked at the stage in amazement. The applause continued for so long that he came out and did a "stool set", by himself while the roadies changed the stage.

Carlos was standing stage left watching the crowd and said at the end of the show that this was one of the best shows he'd been involved in for years.

Favorite band in the last few years..The Refreshments. I love that Tempe (Ar.) sound that was the beginning of the 90's.

Favorite album...tough call but I will have to go with Steely Dan, Royal Scam.

Like most that I see here, my tastes run the gamut from mild to wild...but I have to say that my favorite artist of all times HAS to be Frank Zappa. Those who "got it", were in the right place at the right time. RIPFZ. Chris
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Woodstock, for sure!

74, Tempe, Jas Cotton blues Band, Marshall Tucker, Lynyrd Skynerd, Boz Skaggs, Steve Miller (was the headliner and he sucked) Elton John came out of the crowd to play

Watkins Glen: The Dead, Allman Bros, The Band

Saw Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin too!
    A lot of dead folks in that crowd. Wish they were still here. The music would be fantastic. Never saw any good come from drugs!
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Member Posts: 115

I thought I was the only wet head who in to RUSH.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

Oh that's tough. So many great concerts. Jethro Tull's Burstin Out tour was great. yes at Colt Park in Hartford, CT in '76 was great. The Tubes were terrific. The Waitresses, Rush.

Lately the Who. Not only a great concert, but I shared it with my son.

Best live album. Two here. Yes's Yessongs, a 3 album set. I'm surprised I didn't burn out the needle I played it so much. Still love it 25 or so years later. Rush all the worlds a stage. The talent of that threesome is just amazing.

Favorite CD? Anything but twangy country and overly repetitive rap.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Wow

Lots to rememeber......(try)

3 way tie best concert...YES 90125, RUSH 2112, and Scorpions.

Best live album AC/DC live at Donington

Best CD to many to list, good ones already noted. Thank god for music, can you imagine life with out it.

• Supply House Rick
    Paul

Wow, I missed Yessongs. Saw Yes at least 5-times. Siberian Khatru & Heart of The Sunrise still kill me...
This discussion has been closed.